Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anson89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
Title says it all
how do I fix this?
cause I wanna receive some important IMs while i'm asleep.
thanks!

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
When it's sleeping, it's not capable of running iChat (or much else for that matter).

If you're worried about leaving the display on, just set the display sleep for x minutes.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
There's lid closed mode, where it operates as normal, but I believe it needs to be plugged into an external display, I could be wrong. I'm not near my MacBook right now so I can't try it out.

Best workaround's already been posted - just almost close it and adjust the brightness and volume to fit. :D

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
There's lid closed mode, where it operates as normal, but I believe it needs to be plugged into an external display

I think you also have to be hooked to an external keyboard and mouse (bluetooth or wired) but that might be only if you want to use the MacBook while the lid is closed.

RDiggidy

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
I find if I plug in an external mouse (any USB device may work), close my lid, wait for sleep, then unplug the external mouse, the device wakes from sleep while the lid is closed...yeah, you probably don't want to do this because 1) the hassle and 2) apparently running a MB/MBP with the lid closed is not very good because of the heat generated.

Just thought I'd mention.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.