Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:14 AM   #1
gkarris
macrumors 604

80 Gig Zune vs. iPod Classic

Well, the verdict seems to be in. NOTE: On the 80 Gig Zune vs. iPod Classic (not the Zune vs. the Touch). The Zune is a worthy competitor. The big pluses are Wifi syncing, larger screen, and now native MPEG4, H.264 support.

You know that there will be discounts on it over the holidays.

It is also said that the portable screens better than the 80 Gig Zune is the Touch and the iPhone's for watching video.

So, if someone wants to upgrade to an 80 Gig player and watch a lot of videos, is the Zune worth looking into?

Choices:
80 Gig Zune: $249
80 Gig iPod Classic: $249
8 Gig iPod Touch: $299

Which is truly the best deal? Does the Zune fit nicely in Apple's middle? A hard-disk based portable video player?
Attached Images

Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:23 AM   #2
samh004
macrumors 68020

But will the Zune play my 11,000+ AAC music files, or some of my protected music files from iTunes, the world's most popular online music store ?

The screen looks better than on the iPod, and with H.264 functionality it's probably a good choice for watching movies on, however are the movies from iTunes protected so as they wont play on the Zune ?

And bottom line, carrying around movies on a portable device is fine if your going to plug it into something else to watch them on, but I couldn't watch my movies on a screen so small, it's not worth it.

Additionally, don't you have to plug the Zune into a power source to use wifi syncing ? Seeing as most people charge their peripherals from their computers, and the fact that even 802.11n is slow, wifi syncing doesn't seem particularly useful. Cool feature to tout, but that's as far as it goes.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:29 AM   #3
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Also as far as I know if you have a mac getting a zune is pointless as it doesn't sync. I would hands down get a zune if I didn't use a mac.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:34 AM   #4
samh004
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Also as far as I know if you have a mac getting a zune is pointless as it doesn't sync. I would hands down get a zune if I didn't use a mac.
As small as the market share is, if Microsoft actually took some time to make things compatible with macs, I think they'd have a better chance, as they wouldn't be seen to not actually care...
Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:35 AM   #5
iTeen
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to iTeen
first off...here is the actual pic of the classic...this is a no brainer for me...get the friekin iPod. Dumb people buy stuff from microsoft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	apple_ipod_classic_new_sept07.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	91371  
iTeen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:49 AM   #6
gkarris
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTeen View Post
first off...here is the actual pic of the classic...this is a no brainer for me...get the friekin iPod. Dumb people buy stuff from microsoft.
Same small screen. After watching video on an iPhone and Touch, the Classic screen no longer "can cut it". We won't even talk about the Nano screen for video...

Looks like the competitors will simply look to fill the holes Apple leaves.

They did it with the PC - look, no budget machine, and no expandable desktop under $2,499...
Old Nov 15, 2007, 01:43 AM   #7
TheStu
macrumors 65816

I really do like the work that Microsoft is doing with the Zune, more competition is always better. That being said, the things that they removed from the Zune software (desktop software, not the PMP) bother me, and the lack of Mac support is annoying.

I have not yet seen a size comparison between the Zune80 and iPodClassic80, but I believe the Classic is a little thinner, no doubt because of the Zune's Wifi, which I would have no use for until they get store access. I do not care about synching my player wirelessly (it is a nice perk, but not a selling feature for me) nor am I usually in a position to need/want to share music with someone wirelessly (also assuming they too have a zune on hand).

I hope that Microsoft continues to develop the Zune, and that Apple will continue to improve the iPod to keep it on top.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 01:51 AM   #8
Danksi
macrumors 68000

Wireless syncing would be nice, bluetooth would be fine.

I've no idea why someone hasn't made it as an add on, for most iPod models.

Would make the iPod Classic a reasonable Apple TV alternative - assuming it has a straight through dock-cable option.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 02:10 AM   #9
dukebound85
macrumors P6

the new zunes do play aac. probably not the protected though
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 03:09 AM   #10
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Ask yourself: If the Zune wasn't made by Microsoft, would anyone take any notice of it? Does being "contrarian" and giving bad reviews to Apple products give you more readers?

On a related note: Where are the iSuppli numbers about the total cost of parts in the Zune? Or for that matter, any other non-Apple product? How come that the iPhone is the only phone in the world where the price is "x dollars plus the cost of a 24 month contract"; for all other phones the price is "it's free, because we charge you more in your contract, but we don't want to mention contracts here"?
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 03:37 AM   #11
hexonxonx
Banned

Having spent over $1000 on music in the iTunes store this month alone, I would never think of changing players. I am more than happy with my 160GB Classic and my 8GB iPhone. I can hold all my music and all of my videos purchased from iTunes plus all my DVDs that I have ripped and still have plenty of room.

I don't mind watching videos on my iPhone or my Classic, the screen on either is perfect!

All this purchased content pretty much insures that people will remain using iPods because a person just can't stop using it with all this money invested.

I haven't checked the zune forums lately since the release but I am willing to bet huge amounts of cash that they are filled with people experiencing bugs and other problems just like with any device, latest iPods included.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 09:18 AM   #12
gkarris
macrumors 604

Another interesting thing someone posted on YouTube I saw today is that they hooked up the new Zune to their projector, and the Zune outputs the ENTIRE interface - not just the video playback...

Apple has some catching up to do with its iPod Classic...
Old Nov 16, 2007, 10:06 AM   #13
Padraig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
Having spent over $1000 on music in the iTunes store this month alone, I would never think of changing players. I am more than happy with my 160GB Classic and my 8GB iPhone. I can hold all my music and all of my videos purchased from iTunes plus all my DVDs that I have ripped and still have plenty of room.

I don't mind watching videos on my iPhone or my Classic, the screen on either is perfect!

All this purchased content pretty much insures that people will remain using iPods because a person just can't stop using it with all this money invested.

I haven't checked the zune forums lately since the release but I am willing to bet huge amounts of cash that they are filled with people experiencing bugs and other problems just like with any device, latest iPods included.

Precisely the reason i've spent 99 cent on itunes this past year (Damn you Feist and your catchy tune). Must say i'd take the zune over the classic, but I wish apple would offer the touch with a higher capacity HD option.
Padraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 10:23 AM   #14
gloss
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gloss
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
the new zunes do play aac. probably not the protected though
Zunes have always played AAC. Just not protected.

And frankly, I like the new Zune interface at least as much if not more than the current iPod interface. It's pretty, well-organized, and snappy, even on my older 30gb model.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:09 AM   #15
princealfie
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Yahoo to princealfie
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloss View Post
Zunes have always played AAC. Just not protected.

And frankly, I like the new Zune interface at least as much if not more than the current iPod interface. It's pretty, well-organized, and snappy, even on my older 30gb model.
I agree.. the new zunes look sweet and very cool in fact.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:45 AM   #16
GSMiller
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danksi View Post
Wireless syncing would be nice, bluetooth would be fine.

I've no idea why someone hasn't made it as an add on, for most iPod models.

Would make the iPod Classic a reasonable Apple TV alternative - assuming it has a straight through dock-cable option.
This is why the iPod doesn't have Bluetooth.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:59 AM   #17
princealfie
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Yahoo to princealfie
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMiller View Post
This is why the iPod doesn't have Bluetooth.
not the correct reason it's the battery life that would take a hit.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:01 PM   #18
Airforce
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by princealfie View Post
You really believe that?
Airforce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:40 PM   #19
Dagless
macrumors Core

The Zune got a bit more competative with the 80gb update. But still, the iPod now maxes out at 160gb. Whilst not everyone will fill that, some people need more than 80gb.

But. It's still got the Zune stigma attached to it. It's MS, it's ugly, it's not a touch wheel. The interface isn't as good and it doesn't sync with Macs.

I wouldn't trade my sexy-as-hell 5.5G for a Classic or Zune though
Old Nov 17, 2007, 02:13 PM   #20
Fuchal
macrumors 68000

I would still take the Classic.

Why? The size + the click wheel.

I don't care about the screen size. I don't watch videos on it.

I do care about syncing with my mac (and itunes), and the UI - and a clickwheel destroys buttons.

Not to mention that the display resolution between the nano, classic, and zune are all the same. So you don't get any increased detail, just larger pixels.
Fuchal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 05:44 PM   #21
GSMiller
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by princealfie View Post
Ah the battery seems to mystically drain itself anyway. I'd love the iPod to have Bluetooth--no more having to connect it to my iMac with a cable.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 05:49 PM   #22
Kamera RAWr
macrumors 65816

The Zune does seem to have some interesting features. Might be a tough debate for those M$ Windows users.

Microsoft still doesn't know ****** about aesthetics!
Old Nov 17, 2007, 07:22 PM   #23
Padraig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamera RAWr View Post
The Zune does seem to have some interesting features. Might be a tough debate for those M$ Windows users.

Microsoft still doesn't know ****** about aesthetics!

For me, the new zune aesthetics along with its menu system look far superior to the classics, but significantly worse than the touch.

Much prefer the overall look of the 5.5g iPod, the split screen on the current model feels too cramped.
Padraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 06:47 AM   #24
SXR
macrumors 6502a

Id stay with iPod , apple is always so innovative with these things. By the way : Touch blows Zune out of the water with its screen turned off.. No doubt about that. Still like the classic more.
SXR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 03:18 PM   #25
DavoMrMac
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to DavoMrMac Send a message via Skype™ to DavoMrMac
I am an iPod fan through and through, but must admit the new Zune2 80GB does look pretty good. The bigger screen is definitely a plus. Now, if only it worked with iTunes
DavoMrMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod