Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Well, the verdict seems to be in. NOTE: On the 80 Gig Zune vs. iPod Classic (not the Zune vs. the Touch). The Zune is a worthy competitor. The big pluses are Wifi syncing, larger screen, and now native MPEG4, H.264 support.

You know that there will be discounts on it over the holidays.

It is also said that the portable screens better than the 80 Gig Zune is the Touch and the iPhone's for watching video.

So, if someone wants to upgrade to an 80 Gig player and watch a lot of videos, is the Zune worth looking into?

Choices:
80 Gig Zune: $249
80 Gig iPod Classic: $249
8 Gig iPod Touch: $299

Which is truly the best deal? Does the Zune fit nicely in Apple's middle? A hard-disk based portable video player?

Attachments

• 32638989-2-300-DT4.gif
    32638989-2-300-DT4.gif
    22.7 KB · Views: 5,717

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
But will the Zune play my 11,000+ AAC music files, or some of my protected music files from iTunes, the world's most popular online music store ?

The screen looks better than on the iPod, and with H.264 functionality it's probably a good choice for watching movies on, however are the movies from iTunes protected so as they wont play on the Zune ?

And bottom line, carrying around movies on a portable device is fine if your going to plug it into something else to watch them on, but I couldn't watch my movies on a screen so small, it's not worth it.

Additionally, don't you have to plug the Zune into a power source to use wifi syncing ? Seeing as most people charge their peripherals from their computers, and the fact that even 802.11n is slow, wifi syncing doesn't seem particularly useful. Cool feature to tout, but that's as far as it goes.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Also as far as I know if you have a mac getting a zune is pointless as it doesn't sync. I would hands down get a zune if I didn't use a mac. ;)

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Also as far as I know if you have a mac getting a zune is pointless as it doesn't sync. I would hands down get a zune if I didn't use a mac. ;)

As small as the market share is, if Microsoft actually took some time to make things compatible with macs, I think they'd have a better chance, as they wouldn't be seen to not actually care...

iTeen

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2007
Washington
first off...here is the actual pic of the classic...this is a no brainer for me...get the friekin iPod. Dumb people buy stuff from microsoft.:eek:

Attachments

• apple_ipod_classic_new_sept07.jpg
    apple_ipod_classic_new_sept07.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 418

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
first off...here is the actual pic of the classic...this is a no brainer for me...get the friekin iPod. Dumb people buy stuff from microsoft.:eek:

Same small screen. After watching video on an iPhone and Touch, the Classic screen no longer "can cut it". We won't even talk about the Nano screen for video...

Looks like the competitors will simply look to fill the holes Apple leaves.

They did it with the PC - look, no budget machine, and no expandable desktop under $2,499...

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I really do like the work that Microsoft is doing with the Zune, more competition is always better. That being said, the things that they removed from the Zune software (desktop software, not the PMP) bother me, and the lack of Mac support is annoying.

I have not yet seen a size comparison between the Zune80 and iPodClassic80, but I believe the Classic is a little thinner, no doubt because of the Zune's Wifi, which I would have no use for until they get store access. I do not care about synching my player wirelessly (it is a nice perk, but not a selling feature for me) nor am I usually in a position to need/want to share music with someone wirelessly (also assuming they too have a zune on hand).

I hope that Microsoft continues to develop the Zune, and that Apple will continue to improve the iPod to keep it on top.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Wireless syncing would be nice, bluetooth would be fine.

I've no idea why someone hasn't made it as an add on, for most iPod models.

Would make the iPod Classic a reasonable Apple TV alternative - assuming it has a straight through dock-cable option.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Ask yourself: If the Zune wasn't made by Microsoft, would anyone take any notice of it? Does being "contrarian" and giving bad reviews to Apple products give you more readers?

On a related note: Where are the iSuppli numbers about the total cost of parts in the Zune? Or for that matter, any other non-Apple product? How come that the iPhone is the only phone in the world where the price is "x dollars plus the cost of a 24 month contract"; for all other phones the price is "it's free, because we charge you more in your contract, but we don't want to mention contracts here"?

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Having spent over $1000 on music in the iTunes store this month alone, I would never think of changing players. I am more than happy with my 160GB Classic and my 8GB iPhone. I can hold all my music and all of my videos purchased from iTunes plus all my DVDs that I have ripped and still have plenty of room.

I don't mind watching videos on my iPhone or my Classic, the screen on either is perfect!

All this purchased content pretty much insures that people will remain using iPods because a person just can't stop using it with all this money invested.

I haven't checked the zune forums lately since the release but I am willing to bet huge amounts of cash that they are filled with people experiencing bugs and other problems just like with any device, latest iPods included.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Another interesting thing someone posted on YouTube I saw today is that they hooked up the new Zune to their projector, and the Zune outputs the ENTIRE interface - not just the video playback...

Apple has some catching up to do with its iPod Classic...

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Having spent over $1000 on music in the iTunes store this month alone, I would never think of changing players. I am more than happy with my 160GB Classic and my 8GB iPhone. I can hold all my music and all of my videos purchased from iTunes plus all my DVDs that I have ripped and still have plenty of room.

I don't mind watching videos on my iPhone or my Classic, the screen on either is perfect!

All this purchased content pretty much insures that people will remain using iPods because a person just can't stop using it with all this money invested.

I haven't checked the zune forums lately since the release but I am willing to bet huge amounts of cash that they are filled with people experiencing bugs and other problems just like with any device, latest iPods included.

Precisely the reason i've spent 99 cent on itunes this past year (Damn you Feist and your catchy tune). Must say i'd take the zune over the classic, but I wish apple would offer the touch with a higher capacity HD option.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
the new zunes do play aac. probably not the protected though

Zunes have always played AAC. Just not protected.

And frankly, I like the new Zune interface at least as much if not more than the current iPod interface. It's pretty, well-organized, and snappy, even on my older 30gb model.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Zunes have always played AAC. Just not protected.

And frankly, I like the new Zune interface at least as much if not more than the current iPod interface. It's pretty, well-organized, and snappy, even on my older 30gb model.

I agree.. the new zunes look sweet and very cool in fact.

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
Wireless syncing would be nice, bluetooth would be fine.

I've no idea why someone hasn't made it as an add on, for most iPod models.

Would make the iPod Classic a reasonable Apple TV alternative - assuming it has a straight through dock-cable option.

This is why the iPod doesn't have Bluetooth.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The Zune got a bit more competative with the 80gb update. But still, the iPod now maxes out at 160gb. Whilst not everyone will fill that, some people need more than 80gb.

But. It's still got the Zune stigma attached to it. It's MS, it's ugly, it's not a touch wheel. The interface isn't as good and it doesn't sync with Macs.

I wouldn't trade my sexy-as-hell 5.5G for a Classic or Zune though :p

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I would still take the Classic.

Why? The size + the click wheel.

I don't care about the screen size. I don't watch videos on it.

I do care about syncing with my mac (and itunes), and the UI - and a clickwheel destroys buttons.

Not to mention that the display resolution between the nano, classic, and zune are all the same. So you don't get any increased detail, just larger pixels.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
The Zune does seem to have some interesting features. Might be a tough debate for those M$ Windows users.

Microsoft still doesn't know s**t about aesthetics!

For me, the new zune aesthetics along with its menu system look far superior to the classics, but significantly worse than the touch.

Much prefer the overall look of the 5.5g iPod, the split screen on the current model feels too cramped.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
Id stay with iPod , apple is always so innovative with these things. By the way : Touch blows Zune out of the water with its screen turned off.. No doubt about that. Still like the classic more.

DavoMrMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2005
I am an iPod fan through and through, but must admit the new Zune2 80GB does look pretty good. The bigger screen is definitely a plus. Now, if only it worked with iTunes :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.