Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makasin

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
So I have been having a lot of trouble trying to convert my flac albums to apple lossless in leopard. I used to use Max to do all those conversions and it worked beautifully, but for some reason why I try to select the output format, nothing happens, and the "convert" button is greyed out. Ive heard its a bug in Max so its not completely compatible. I tried using Toast 8 to do this, but for all the files the album tag is "My CD" for all files (I have like 450 or so tracks). Is there any (preferably free) app that can do this simple conversion and hopefully maintain the metadata? So far I have had no luck. The Xiph FLAC plugic for quicktime never worked for me properly so ya, I dont know what to do.

morphodone

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2007
thanks, i have about 3,000 songs in flac format on a linux box

this will be great to convert them to aac for my iphone

makasin

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
hmm, for some reason I tried that one before but it seems to be working now. Maybe I was too impatient or something coz it doesnt really have an interface and I didnt know what it was doing. Looks like some conversions are happening. Hopefully itll work. Thanks for the link! You saved like half of my music collection.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Another vote for XLD.

Just be sure to get the latest version. Leopard "broke" the AAC & Apple lossless decoding, but it is now fixed and working perfectly.

lindmar

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2003
What is XLD?
Is there any way to just properly play my flac files in Leopard.

Been trying all morning..

makasin

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
yeah so I dragged and dropped all my files into XLD and it started converting, but when I woke up this morning it was frozen in the middle of a conversion. When I went to check out the output files, there were only 34/400 in there :(
any other suggestions?

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
yeah so I dragged and dropped all my files into XLD and it started converting, but when I woke up this morning it was frozen in the middle of a conversion. When I went to check out the output files, there were only 34/400 in there :(
any other suggestions?

How many are you trying to convert at a time? :eek:

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Since Leopard, I've just used command-line flac -d to create a .wav and then import in itunes and save as apple lossless. Will check out XLD... http://www.sbooth.org/ Max doesn't work on Leopard yet :(

makasin

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
I point it to a folder with like 425 flacs in it.
its freezes after a while.
Is there any other software package that can do this?
Its kinda stupid that there arent very many options to choose from.

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
I point it to a folder with like 425 flacs in it.
its freezes after a while.
Is there any other software package that can do this?

Then just convert fewer files at a time. Geez. I've converted up to 50 FLAC files at a time with XLD, and it's been fine. If it's that big of an issue, write the developer a bug report.

makasin

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
so the new builds work now?
how do u compile that stuff? I dont really know much about the nightly build stuff.

makasin

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
I haven't tried this yet but you might try http://earpick.wordpress.com/2007/06/11/how-to-play-flac-in-itunes-on-mac/

EDIT: Works for me. didn't have metadata so I don't know if it gets preserved. But flac plays in QT and iTunes and converts to apple lossless.

really? I have the Xiph component installed and im getting no luck adding the flacs to my library. If it could play them then I wouldnt be concerned that much in converting them. Any tips on how to get it working properly?
I have the component in my quicktime components directory i believe.

Edit: Nevermind, I wrote this before clicking the linky. Im gonna try that FLac importer and report back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.