Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2008
Can you put a splitter on a wired headset and then connect one of the two outputs to a *******r ?

or just connect your headphone jack to a *******r using an auxiliary cord IF your headphone jack is not being used at all with your Skype

or

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/29851

note: I guess it is unlikely that you are watching this thread anymore, but I have just become interested in using Skype so I am interested in what solution you used.

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2008
"I can't go for that"

This is my favorite

Same software. I just found it on Versiontracker and Apple as opposed to the developer's site.

Well, after scrutinizing the EULA for Skype I think I should avoid Skype.

Apparently, users can only signup for a Skype account AFTER downloading and installing Skype software BECAUSE Skype works by using some of your computer's resources for traffic that may be unrelated to your specific use. In other words, my computer would end up as a "node" in the Skype and, or, other third party(ies) network. Skype does not want you to use Skype IF Skype does not get to USE your computer.

That is, I guess, how most such services work, but I am just not comfortable with intentionally using my machine, or having my machine used, that way when I have sensitive information on the machine. After all, Skype tells you explicitly that they are not responsible if using Skype compromises your machine.

"Skype will use its commercially reasonable efforts to protect the privacy and integrity of the computer resources (or other applicable device) You are utilizing and of Your communication, however Skype cannot give any warranties in this respect."

I my opinion the very wording of the disclaimer I just quoted screams "We know it is quite possible for you to get hacked using Skype. In fact, we may be actively involved in snooping your machine, but 'tough'; do not use Skype then."

More likely, I can not escape the conclusion that most users would be shocked at the extent to which Skype and other third parties, or whoever Skype lets in, peruse the user's private information. And it is not at all as simple as saying Skype wants to steal your bank account or id. That stuff is probably rather juvenile as far as they are concerned. Infinitely more profit in not clearly raising suspicion by doing something like that.

All I really wanted to do with Skype anyway was have all Skype calls forwarded to a business mobile phone in order to avoid putting the business mobile phone number itself on associated websites. Sure, there are a handful of people I would call in other countries if I had Skype rates anyway, but such use was not my primary motivation to get Skype.

I know there is a per minute cost to forward calls, but I am, of course, ok with that. Indeed, I already use one number forwarding service. I just want to add, at least, another different provider just in case any one provider has technical difficulties.

Incidentally, Skype is a 31mb download. In my opinion, judging from the size alone, it is obvious that there is much in that package to be concerned about. Lending credence to my suspicions is the fact that I have found significant reports of users with anomalously high cpu load while using Skype and other indications that the user's machine is far more active than can be accounted for with "innocent" Skype use. I am certainly no expert, but Skype developers are way too smart for it to take them 31mb to do what I believe Skype superficially maintains is the essence of Skype. http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=116481

Version tracker has about 300 rock bottom reviewer ratings for one particular version of Skype. http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24474&mode=feedback There is no way I should ignore that.

And, although this may have changed recently, I understand that many IT people do not want Skype on their networks at all due to vulnerabilities it may be responsible for:

"But as brilliant a piece of software Skype is, there are some IT departments that for a number of reasons are not going to want to have that application residing on their networks."

"...it can introduce unnecessary risks and vulnerabilities that could be exploited to cripple organizations."

I do not listen to every IT person around, but after reading a number of articles I tend to believe that what is good enough for them is good enough for me when it comes to Skype.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=printArticleBasic&articleId=109863

Nonetheless, Skype has lots of users and I know that many of them, who use this forum, will vigorously defend Skype. I do not want to argue.

If I had a cheap machine that I avoid putting sensitive information on, then, that would be ideal for Skype, but, as it stands, I probably have my hands full trying to maintain control of the machines I use on the Internet when I KNOW I am supposed to be the only user. I certainly do not need to add a bunch of "anonymous" Skype third parties, or users, or whatever, to that.

http://www.eulascan.com/product.aspx?pid=51

I looked at oovoo.com, but it is still in Beta, appears to mostly mimic Skype, and does not have forwarding to mobile from what I could tell during my brief look.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
If you want to manage telephone calls, have you looked at GrandCentral? For internet calling I'd either use iChat or install Skype and get one of these:

ManWearingTinFoilHat.jpg

:)

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2008
I was looking at GrandCentral long before Google bought it.

I cried the day Google bought GrandCentral.

The main reason I do not have a gmail number is because I am extremely uncomfortable deliberately putting information such as my phone number in Google's hands. I do not believe Google is as innocent as...

http://grandcentral.com/legal/tos

GRANT OF RIGHTS TO USE SERVICES.
Effective upon acceptance of this Agreement, GrandCentral hereby grants to Subscriber a personal, nonexclusive, nontransferable, revocable license to access and use the Services (as defined below), for Subscriber's non-commercial use.

TERMINATION.
The GrandCentral Services are for personal, non-commercial usage. GrandCentral reserves the right to immediately disconnect or modify a Subscriber's Service if GrandCentral determines, in its sole discretion, that Subscriber's use of the Service is, or at any time was, inconsistent with normal personal, non-commercial usage patterns.

Okay. It is clear I am being encouraged to ask what is on the head of the guy in the image.

What is on the head of the guy in the image?

Disregard that question! I use ferrite beads and various other methods.

At first I thought he was getting his hair done or he was wearing a new hairstyle.

I did not look at the image URL, which explains it, until after I realized what the deal was.

DELTAsnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
Australia
Leo Laporte is always recommending some software called Pamela for recording Skype calls. I've never used it, but if anyone knows how to record Skype it's Leo Laporte because his business is built on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.