Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hobbes3113

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2002
NYC
I have been searching to find an answer to this problem, but have found nothing that is satisfactory. I am trying to connect a lj 5mp to my computer (beige g3 with sonnet g4 500 upgrade) running 10.2.6. Supposedly there is no OSX driver for this computer. Does anyone know how I might still be able to use my not too old lj?

Thanks,

Hobbes

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Well, I just looked under /Library/Printers and found files for it.

This is a PostScript (the M in 5MP)printer, right? It should be supported, but I can only imagine that an Ethernet connection works.

hobbes3113

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2002
NYC
I believe that it is a PS printer. However, there are no drivers (at least that I can find) for it in the /Library/Printers folder. I have tried the HP site for drivers to no avail. My guess is that the printer needs a 3rd party patch/driver to function correctly.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Apple went to great lengths to provide PostScript printers drivers for over 300 printers back when 10.1 arrived.

You should actually be able to choose almost any monochrome laser printer and get it to work. As I remember, that printer is not high on the list for features so printing to it as a 4M (or some other printer) should be possible.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
5MP rules!

I couldn't believe it when I got my aging 5MP working on my FP iMac. It's faster than ever!

I used a "HP Deskjet 350 series" printer cable for USB Mac. OS X did the rest. (or maybe I checked for the latest driver, I can't remember...)

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I use a 4mp at my office. I just use ethernet and the generic printer driver. It works great. (I picked up the ethernet card for $20 on E-Bay....)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.