Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:12 AM   #1
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

iPod Touch and USB 1.1

My Touch arrived today and I was disappointed to discover that (technically, at least) USB 1.1 isn't supported, since that's what I've got over here. The Touch wasn't recognized by iTunes at all until I upgraded to 7.5. So that much works at least now, and I was able to complete the 1.1.2 update.

Syncing my iTunes library is another matter. I realize at best this will be an agonizingly slow process (about ten songs a minute), but to compound this issue, iTunes locks up periodically during the sync. Sometimes 200 or more tracks will load before I get the pinwheel and have to force-quit iTunes, sometimes only ten. I've managed to get about a third of my library transferred this way, but I've still got over 2,000 tracks to go. I'd like to find a way to make iTunes hang in long enough so at least I won't have to babysit the entire process.

Any suggestions?
Old Nov 17, 2007, 02:12 PM   #2
iPodd
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
My Touch arrived today and I was disappointed to discover that (technically, at least) USB 1.1 isn't supported, since that's what I've got over here. The Touch wasn't recognized by iTunes at all until I upgraded to 7.5. So that much works at least now, and I was able to complete the 1.1.2 update.

Syncing my iTunes library is another matter. I realize at best this will be an agonizingly slow process (about ten songs a minute), but to compound this issue, iTunes locks up periodically during the sync. Sometimes 200 or more tracks will load before I get the pinwheel and have to force-quit iTunes, sometimes only ten. I've managed to get about a third of my library transferred this way, but I've still got over 2,000 tracks to go. I'd like to find a way to make iTunes hang in long enough so at least I won't have to babysit the entire process.

Any suggestions?
When my iPT is fully charged I am able to sync over USB 1.1 with no problems.
iPodd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 03:47 PM   #3
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPodd View Post
But not when it isn't fully charged? What happens then?

BTW, I managed to get my entire library synced to the Touch. Finally. Took the better part of a day!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:19 AM   #4
ChrisBrightwell
macrumors 68020

Ignorance is no excuse, IMO.

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html

Mac system requirements:
- Mac computer with USB 2.0 port
- Mac OS X v10.4.10 or later
- iTunes 7.4 or later

Windows system requirements:
- PC with USB 2.0 port
- Windows Vista or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later
- iTunes 7.4 or later
Old Nov 18, 2007, 01:06 AM   #5
Merkuryy
macrumors regular

Since iPod Nano 1G, AAPL had made all their iPod to only support USB 2.0. But my Nano was still able to charge and sync on a USB 2.0. Just make sure you don't put too much songs at a time. Charging battery should be OK
Old Nov 18, 2007, 04:23 AM   #6
iPodd
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Sigh, after updating my iPT to 1.1.2 I am no longer able to sync properly. I get errors and can only sync a few Mb at each attempt, in addition I get the spinning beachball nine out of ten times I connect my iPT. I now contemplate to revert to 1.1.1.

ChrisBrigthwell: ??? Ignorance ??? Read the first line in the first post
Old Nov 18, 2007, 04:38 AM   #7
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Sigh, after updating my iPT to 1.1.2 I am no longer able to sync properly. I get errors and can only sync a few Mb at each attempt, in addition I get the spinning beachball nine out of ten times I connect my iPT. I now contemplate to revert to 1.1.1.

ChrisBrigthwell: ??? Ignorance ??? Read the first line in the first post
Have you hacked your iPods? I've had no problems with syncing, even with 1.1.2 but I have an Intel Macbook.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:00 PM   #8
iPodd
macrumors newbie

Specifications:iBook G3 (PPC) 800MHz, 10.4.11
Jailbroken iPT 1.1.1: Syncs fine
Same iPT oktoprepped, updated (1.1.2) and jailbroken: Sync "times out"
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:08 PM   #9
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkuryy View Post
Since iPod Nano 1G, AAPL had made all their iPod to only support USB 2.0. But my Nano was still able to charge and sync on a USB 2.0. Just make sure you don't put too much songs at a time. Charging battery should be OK
USB 1.1 is still supported. They are backwards-compatible standards. How well this works doesn't seem to really be a function of the number of songs you attempt to sync. During my first sync I found I could sometimes get 500 tracks or more at a time, sometimes only a few. No obvious pattern. Charging works fine.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch