Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Nov 16, 2007, 03:27 PM   #1
mrjaja
macrumors newbie

Question Deleting All Contacts within iTunes

I've been helping my dad setting up his gleaming new iPhone.

I've synced all of the contacts from Microsoft Outlook 2003 which he's aquired, which totals in at 3,009 contacts! A lot of which he doesn't need.

How do you get rid of them of all within iTunes without deleting them one by one directly on the iPhone and without dratically modifying them within Outlook.

UPDATE: I have unchecked Contacts in the Info tab, but the contacts are still there

Thanks a million in advance!

MacBook White (Late 2007) -Intel C2D 2.0GHz - 2GB RAM
iPod nano - Silver - 8GB

Last edited by mrjaja; Nov 16, 2007 at 03:34 PM.
mrjaja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:40 AM   #2
CrockettGTO
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjaja View Post
I've been helping my dad setting up his gleaming new iPhone.

I've synced all of the contacts from Microsoft Outlook 2003 which he's aquired, which totals in at 3,009 contacts! A lot of which he doesn't need.

How do you get rid of them of all within iTunes without deleting them one by one directly on the iPhone and without dratically modifying them within Outlook.

UPDATE: I have unchecked Contacts in the Info tab, but the contacts are still there

Thanks a million in advance!
I went through this before. I had to export my address book to a file in CVS format or (Tab delimited) into a folder on my desktop. Then delete the address book in Outlook, sync the device with an empty address book, it then removes all of them. Then import the file you saved to your desktop back into the Address book in Outlook, make your individual contact updates, then re-sync.
I haven't found another way. I wish there was a setting in iTune or on the iPhone which you could select to have either the phone overwrite address book or vise versa.
CrockettGTO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 01:05 AM   #3
CrockettGTO
macrumors regular

Just found this from the iPhone's user manual:
If you entered information on iPhone that you don’t want to sync to your computer Replace contacts, calendars, mail accounts, or bookmarks on iPhone with information from your computer.
1 Open iTunes.
2 As you connect iPhone to your computer, press and hold Command-Option (if you’re using a Mac) or Shift-Control (if you’re using a PC) until you see iPhone in the iTunes Source pane. This prevents iPhone from syncing automatically.
3 Select iPhone in the iTunes Source pane and click the Info tab.
4 Under “Replace information on this iPhone,” select Contacts, Calendars, Mail Accounts, or Bookmarks. You can select more than one, if you like.
5 Click Apply.
Information of the selected type is erased from iPhone and replaced with what’s on your computer. The next time you sync, iPhone syncs normally, adding information you’ve entered on iPhone to your computer, and vice versa.
CrockettGTO is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting