Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjaja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Glasgow
I've been helping my dad setting up his gleaming new iPhone.

I've synced all of the contacts from Microsoft Outlook 2003 which he's aquired, which totals in at 3,009 contacts! A lot of which he doesn't need.

How do you get rid of them of all within iTunes without deleting them one by one directly on the iPhone and without dratically modifying them within Outlook.

UPDATE: I have unchecked Contacts in the Info tab, but the contacts are still there :(

Thanks a million in advance! :)

CrockettGTO

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
I've been helping my dad setting up his gleaming new iPhone.

I've synced all of the contacts from Microsoft Outlook 2003 which he's aquired, which totals in at 3,009 contacts! A lot of which he doesn't need.

How do you get rid of them of all within iTunes without deleting them one by one directly on the iPhone and without dratically modifying them within Outlook.

UPDATE: I have unchecked Contacts in the Info tab, but the contacts are still there :(

Thanks a million in advance! :)
I went through this before. I had to export my address book to a file in CVS format or (Tab delimited) into a folder on my desktop. Then delete the address book in Outlook, sync the device with an empty address book, it then removes all of them. Then import the file you saved to your desktop back into the Address book in Outlook, make your individual contact updates, then re-sync.
I haven't found another way. I wish there was a setting in iTune or on the iPhone which you could select to have either the phone overwrite address book or vise versa.

CrockettGTO

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
Just found this from the iPhone's user manual:
If you entered information on iPhone that you don’t want to sync to your computer Replace contacts, calendars, mail accounts, or bookmarks on iPhone with information from your computer.
1 Open iTunes.
2 As you connect iPhone to your computer, press and hold Command-Option (if you’re using a Mac) or Shift-Control (if you’re using a PC) until you see iPhone in the iTunes Source pane. This prevents iPhone from syncing automatically.
3 Select iPhone in the iTunes Source pane and click the Info tab.
4 Under “Replace information on this iPhone,” select Contacts, Calendars, Mail Accounts, or Bookmarks. You can select more than one, if you like.
5 Click Apply.
Information of the selected type is erased from iPhone and replaced with what’s on your computer. The next time you sync, iPhone syncs normally, adding information you’ve entered on iPhone to your computer, and vice versa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.