Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Nov 16, 2007, 02:49 PM   #1
darbyclash34
macrumors regular

Changing root user name?

Is it possible to change the root user name of a Mac? Somehow, when I go into to Terminal, it shows my boss' name as the root user of my machine. I have no idea how it happened. What can I do? Thanks!
darbyclash34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 02:54 PM   #2
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

I assume you're talking about the Administrator account (possibly the only one on the machine)..."root" is something very different and something most users should never need to see or deal with.

In Tiger, you can change the name on a user account, but Apple frowns upon it, as it may cause some issues. Here is their guide to doing so. If you're not worried about preserving documents, you can simply create another Administrator account, log into it, and then delete the original one. (But if you've been working with the existing account for some time, moving the documents and other files over may not be worth it.)

In Leopard, I believe you can right click on the account in System Preferences and change the name there.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 02:58 PM   #3
darbyclash34
macrumors regular

The only account name on the machine is my own. I only see this when I go into Terminal. The first thing that shows up when I open up terminal is my boss' name. I can't see how this possibly could have happened. The only place this show's up in is terminal. Thanks!
Old Nov 16, 2007, 03:08 PM   #4
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Gotcha. Check System Preferences --> Sharing. What does it say under "Computer Name"?
Old Nov 16, 2007, 03:20 PM   #5
darbyclash34
macrumors regular

As soon as I looked at that sharing screen, it changed in terminal to be Shawn's Mac Book Pro. Does Terminal reflect the name the computer is using on the company network maybe? Thanks!
Old Nov 16, 2007, 03:29 PM   #6
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyclash34 View Post
As soon as I looked at that sharing screen, it changed in terminal to be Shawn's Mac Book Pro. Does Terminal reflect the name the computer is using on the company network maybe? Thanks!
Yes, when you're on a local network, it'll reflect the address where other computers can find that machine.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 03:33 PM   #7
darbyclash34
macrumors regular

Ahh, ok, thought I was going crazy! Thanks a lot for all of your help! Nice seeing such a welcoming forum!

Shawn
Old Nov 16, 2007, 03:35 PM   #8
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

You're welcome...sorry it took me so long to get to the answer!

Welcome to the forums!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X