Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2124m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
IF Apple has a struggle to get more content onto AppleTV, could they not simply 'stream' Safari content to the AppleTV. If NBC wants to use Hulu to broadcast their content, then allow that content to play through AppleTV.

Is this possible? Either enable Safari on AppleTV or ??? stream Safari app to Apple TV?

I know it isn't elegant, but is it work around for Apple? (i.e. sell more :apple:TV)?

tronic72

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
I think most of us agree the lack of decent content for the Apple TV is a major issue that's stopping many users purchasing the Apple TV. I see no reason why your suggestion wouldn't be technically possilbe, but I don't think it will make a big difference to Apple TV sales as I see the current lack of surround sound a much greater issue. It's actually cheaper to purchase diso****ed DVDs and rip them to your iTunes than purchase from the iTunes store.

My feeling is the lack or content (and surround sound) has more do to with Lawyers and copyright than technical capabilites. I think Apple is currently in talks with the major studios but we all know how backward they are about supplying content online.

I think it will get worse as the iTunes store has shown there is money to be made by selling content online and the major studios now want a larger cut.

Time will tell. :apple:

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
also Apple makes no money from Hulu, it doesnt make sense that they would add that feature without some sort of cut. They are in the TV show selling business, why would they add a feature to allow you to see it for free? They want those shows to sell, not give away.

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2003
Las vegas
also Apple makes no money from Hulu, it doesnt make sense that they would add that feature without some sort of cut. They are in the TV show selling business, why would they add a feature to allow you to see it for free? They want those shows to sell, not give away.

yah but if they sell more apple tv's then they make more $

iscripter

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Stream vs. Download

It is technically feasable that Apple could add the Hulu channnel to AppleTV just like they did with the YouTube channel. But I don't think Apple really makes that much money from selling TV shows through iTunes just like they do not make that much money from selling songs. Apple is a hardware company and makes the majority of their money from selling hardware.

If they want to sell more AppleTV's then they need to add more features to the device. Currently I don't own an AppleTV because it does not replace any current entertainment device that I own. I will be the first person in line for an AppleTV when I can buy one to replace my DVD player or my cable TV box. I would love to get rid of my cable TV bill and just buy TV shows ala carte from iTunes but they don't have all the shows from all the networks. Also movie rentals would be a big plus too.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
It would be more likely for Apple to team up with ABC to stream ABC content to Apple TV for free (with ad support).

ABC already has a very nice setup that allows for HD streaming, and I'm sure it could work with the Apple TV without much modification... although it would require cooperation from both sides.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
They make more selling content.

Do you have any facts to back that up? Apple is a hardware company and makes virtually nothing on iTunes period. Also, Apple maintains roughly a 20 or higher percent margin on ALL products they sell. This is all public knowledge from their quarterly earnings reports.

Therefore, your assessment is incorrect.

blewvelvet

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
Apple TV just needs to...

Since Apple TV is a computer (that connects directly to the internet)..there should be absolutely NO BLOCKS from their menu to any website that you would get on any other computer . They need to get a majority of the market on an apple TV. THEN SCREW the cable companies out of their share of the market.....and offer their own content service such as;

VALID and PUBLIC news sources (for national, international, and local markets i.e "NY1" ) other than that cable news crap the cable companies and corporations use to spread horrible opinions and lies. (ie CNN, FOX, msnbc..is somewhat decent and CSPAN of course)

Abilit to search the entire internet for video content.

I would definitely tune into that....oh yeah.

Once they do that..abc, nbc, hbo, comedy central, IFC, showtime..blah blah blah..will be killing to get on Apple TV.

Its redefining how the masses will receive information and entertainmnet! This is a good thing..so don't screw it up people. Demand what you want!

Phillie14586

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2010
I think there is just too much greed all around. Look at the channels some of the other STBs have. Some have many more than the ATV why? Why has GoogleTV been blocked by the major TV stations? Then on the PC side there is PlayOn which from my understanding sits in a gray area of the law. Roku had to pull official support for PlayOn because of some stupid legal crap and PlayOn says they aren't doing anything illegal since they are only supplying a path for the content and not changing that content in any way. Why should this be a gray area? Too much greed. And if Apple ins't just using the ATV to promote iTunes then why is it only 720p? If they were really just a hardware company looking to make the best hardware then it would have 1080p for all the other content that you can get not through iTunes. Hopefully Corperate will realize the money is in having the content in fornt of people not in the transmission of that content.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I think there is just too much greed all around. Look at the channels some of the other STBs have. Some have many more than the ATV why? Why has GoogleTV been blocked by the major TV stations? Then on the PC side there is PlayOn which from my understanding sits in a gray area of the law. Roku had to pull official support for PlayOn because of some stupid legal crap and PlayOn says they aren't doing anything illegal since they are only supplying a path for the content and not changing that content in any way. Why should this be a gray area? Too much greed. And if Apple ins't just using the ATV to promote iTunes then why is it only 720p? If they were really just a hardware company looking to make the best hardware then it would have 1080p for all the other content that you can get not through iTunes. Hopefully Corperate will realize the money is in having the content in fornt of people not in the transmission of that content.
Of course greed is involved. It is a business, after all.

As for you questions, here are my opinions.

1. Why do some streamers have more "channels" than others? It really depends on the overall business model of the device manufacturer. Roku doesn't sell content, so it makes sense for them to have as many content partners as possible. Apple sells content, so they need to be careful not to impact one of their own revenue streams.

2. Why has GoogleTV been blocked? Most likely because they haven't made deals with the individual content owners or providers. For example, much of Hulu's content is contracted for playback on computers only. Since GoogleTV is primarily connected to TVs, Hulu is likely bound by contracts to block it. I believe this is the reason that Hulu Plus doesn't include everything that Hulu has.

3. Why is PlayOn in a grey area? I don't know too much about this, but I would guess that the content owners are relying on the provision that end users are not allowed to rebroadcast commercial content. This is a little flimsy, since that's technically what Sling does and that's not been shot down. I will admit, I'm not too knowledgeable with PlayOn.

4. Why is AppleTV only 720p? I don't think anyone has denied that the aTV isn't a promotional tool for iTunes. It is. But there are technical reasons that the device is limited to 720p. The infrastructure in the US isn't quite there yet to support full 1080p streaming and downloads. Plus, they would probably have to put more Flash RAM in the device for a pleasant experience. BTW, the aTV is fully capable of playing 1080p content ... output is still limited to 720p though.

As for your last statement, I feel that the real money isn't in getting content in front of people. The real money is being able to charge people for content multiple times. For instance, if I own a popular TV show, I can charge advertisers on the first run. Then, I'll charge consumers on DVD sales. I can also charge some consumers for digital downloads. In a few years, I'll charge syndicators a decent amount to show my stuff 5 days a week.

Look at Seinfeld. It was a top rated show for years and they collected a lot of advertising fees. Folks are out there buying DVDs. And it's been in syndication for many many years. Jerry raking in the dough and so is everyone along for the ride.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.