Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
I have pretty much decided I am going to get an iPhone today.

Can somone just run through the steps i need to go through to be able to use my Orange SIM card in it? I don't need the details - just the names of the proceedures and I will google them for full instructions.

As far as I see it - I just

1. Downgrade the firmware from 1.1.2 to 1.1.1 so I can use anySIM Unlock Program, then use Jail Break?

Is that everything?

Thanks

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
This won't work I'm afraid. Only O2 SIM cards will work on a hacked UK iPhone at present.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
This won't work I'm afraid. Only O2 SIM cards will work on a hacked UK iPhone at present.

Are you joking?

Why is it any different?

Surely if I use the unlock hacks that have been used in the US it should have the same result in the UK?

This has seriously just pi**ed on my bonfire. I have just checked out T-Mobile's website to get prices for their Web n Walk package and am going to get my iPhone in an hour.

Also I make reference to this post https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/4503124/ where he has is iPhone working with TMobile.

But haivng just read it it says he has a US iPhone.

Crap.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
You have to wait for a crack for 1.1.2 as the baseband in the current phones won't work with the downgrade techniques. I went ahead and signed with O2, but if you want to do otherwise, you might as well wait to buy your phone. Trust me, when 1.1.2 is truly hacked, you will hear about it.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
You have to wait for a crack for 1.1.2 as the baseband in the current phones won't work with the downgrade techniques. I went ahead and signed with O2, but if you want to do otherwise, you might as well wait to buy your phone. Trust me, when 1.1.2 is truly hacked, you will hear about it.

I haven't really followed the hacks and unlocks too well as I promised myself I wasnt going to get an iPhone. But the temptation has grabbed me now.

So - from your experience - going from past hacks/unlocks - how much longer should we expect to wait for an unlock. Today is the only day I can get into town to pick up the iPhone so I am probably going to still go and get it.

Can we expect it to happen this week do you think?

sneeks

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2007
Glasgow, UK
You have 14 days to return the phone so all is not lost if you buy it today and the unlock does not happen.

Originally the dev teams were quoting last week as the release date for the hack, this has now passed and I've not read any recent update. I'd not think you'd have to wait a great deal longer.

thesheephair

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2007
which web n walk package where u lookin at ?

Flext 20 + web'n'walk (18 months)
Unlimited web surfing and e-mails
£22.50

170 minutes or 340 texts

this is the cheapast package i can find with t mobile, can someone point me somewhere a little cheaper? dont mind 18 month or 12 month tbh

thanks alot

fai2

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2007

£22.50

170 minutes or 340 texts

this is the cheapast package i can find with t mobile, can someone point me somewhere a little cheaper? dont mind 18 month or 12 month tbh

thanks alot

I am thinking about the same thing!
And the free phone from the plan can be sell on ebay or just keep it as spare phone.
I think it's already the cheapest way?:confused:

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Can we expect it to happen this week do you think?

It could be months off. It could be next week, who knows?

Apple have nailed this version down a little more than 1.1.1 it seems.

I wanted an iPhone, I don't need the stress and I wanted EDGE. I went with the O2 iPhone tariff. The rest is up to you I guess.

I'd like an easy jailbreak soon but I'm not worrying about it. I'd like an ssh client but the rest of the 3rd party apps are superfluous imo.

thesheephair

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2007
i may have found an even cheaper way if ur willing to move to orange

http://www.onestopphoneshop.co.uk/mobile-phones/sony eric./w810ipm/orange/dolph3512

they have 12 months free lne rental and give u 12 months cashback with 300 mins and 400 texts so all in all you pay nothing literally. you get all your money back via cashback. Its what im doing at the moment with my orange LG phone. and all the cashbacks have worked and have recieved all the cheques :p

Now if you take that contract out and ask orange to add ORANGE WORLD for £8 (unlimted browsing that is) it means that each month you pay £8 !!!!! for 300 mins 400 texts and also web browisng :D

how does that do for ya D:D ;)

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom

£22.50

170 minutes or 340 texts

Perhaps I am not seeing the full picture, but is the whole process of unlocking etc worth that "saving" of £12.50/month? :)
You will be locked into an 18 month contract in any case.

Why not just sign up with O2 and be done? :confused:

thesheephair

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2007
Perhaps I am not seeing the full picture, but is the whole process of unlocking etc worth that "saving" of £12.50/month? :)
You will be locked into an 18 month contract in any case.

Why not just sign up with O2 and be done? :confused:

look at my new post

also means i dont have to deal with o2 :D

trust me on that last point

neveleven

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2007
You can get the phone unlocked so it becomes a wi-fi ipod, then you're just a click away when the unlock comes out. Go to iphone unlock uk.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
i'm just using T-mobile at the moment (in germany) and im not planning to unlock anything in the near future... until i want to use my iphone overseas, but i have a nokia..

well, in the UK, I've always used vodaphone. i'm xenophobic to switch to another network. just personal preference.

thesheephair

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2007
oh right, but £8 a month for 300 mins and 400 txts along with unlimted browsin just seems like such a better deal to me

thesheephair

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2007
:S:S errrr i know that why im going to put that orange sim in an unlocked iphone.

So therefore my total costings for the iphone for 12 months would be 96 pounds and the handset price.

better than 35 pounds for 18 months

sneeks

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2007
Glasgow, UK
For now take out a O2 Simplicity tariff for £27.50 p/month including 200mb data allowance. You'll be able to use this until a unlock becomes available.

400 minutes, 1000 texts and unlimited calls to O2 numbers and only a 30 day contract.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
:S:S errrr i know that why im going to put that orange sim in an unlocked iphone.

So therefore my total costings for the iphone for 12 months would be 96 pounds and the handset price.

better than 35 pounds for 18 months

Your plan will work with a US phone. For the moment.

mattpreston11

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
For now take out a O2 Simplicity tariff for £27.50 p/month including 200mb data allowance. You'll be able to use this until a unlock becomes available.

400 minutes, 1000 texts and unlimited calls to O2 numbers and only a 30 day contract.

thats what ive got its brill,gona get my iphone real soon and just stick with this until i find a reason to upgrade (hacked upgrade obv )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.