Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Hello,

How do I change the hard drive size of a image in fusion?

The settings are locked under the virtual machine -> settings menu.

Best regards

jb6927

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2008
Hello,

How do I change the hard drive size of a image in fusion?

The settings are locked under the virtual machine -> settings menu.

Best regards

+1! I am also looking to decrease the size of my image. I installed Vista 64 on my new MBP and have it 60GB of space. I would like to lower it to about 30GB. Anyway I can do this??

micsaund

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2004
Colorado, USA
Expanding the disk itself is very easy.

1) Open a Terminal
2) cd to the directory with the .vmdk you wish to expand.
3) Run: "/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/MacOS/diskTool -X 50GB <file.vmdk>" where 50GB is the size you want and file.vmdk is the correct name for your VM.
4) Wait.

Now, the issue you run into is that you're increasing the physical (virtual) drive size, but the guest OS doesn't know about this. Just as if you had a 100GB drive, formatted it, installed Windows, and then somehow magically increased the disk to 120GB -- the formatting/partitioning is still set for 100GB.

What this means is that you'll have a larger drive, but the Windows install will only be configured for the old size. You must expand the partition within the VM. You can do this via something like Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Suite. I recently used Gparted (free) to expand a partition in a VM and it worked fine.

Mike

pjc113

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
Caveat

Just be careful if you have snapshots doing this will get you in trouble. You need to commit them before resizing first.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I did it a few months back with my mini because I was running out of disk space and didn't need such a big VM. However, I can't find the source I used to do it...but it was all within Fusion, I didn't have to do any Terminal commnds. I remember I had to delete all the old snapshots before it would let me shrink the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.