Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scoobyduder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
I've seen a number of postings on sorting various artist CDs in iTunes, but none of the solutions seem to be working for me. I have a number of compilations and greatest hits CDs in my iTunes library. If I sort by artist, the greatest hits titles sort correctly but the compilations are sorted all over the place. If I sort by album, the compilations sort correctly and the greatest hits get messed up. For example, "Greatest Hits" CDs by Social Distortion, Psychedelic Furs and Blink 182 are all jumbled with track one from all three CDs together, then track two and so on. "Singles" CDs by the Clash and the Smiths also sort the same way. I have "group compilations when browsing" checked in preferences and have made sure the album artist is listed as Various Artists on all compilations. iTunes is still sorting with tracks and album art all over the place. Is there a way to do a primary and secondary sort so that iTunes first sorts on Artist (or Album Artist) and then by Album? I want to sort my library so that it's first sorted alphabetical by Artist with all albums by each artist then sorted alphabetically. Am I just missing something? I would very much appreciate any help. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.