Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

S600MBUSA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
Georgia
My gaming adapter for my XBOX 360 is no longer working. Is there a way that I can use my Macbook Pro, which is connected to my 802.11n wireless network, and an ethernet cable to allow my 360 to get an internet connection and thus play games through XBOX Live?

Josheua

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
United States
The only real way to set up some sort of connection between an xbox 360 and a computer is with an Ad-HOC (shared internet connection) network (which I have never tried to set up in OSX so am not familar with, that being if it is even possible) However, the problem is, xbox 360 does NOT support xbox-live connection via Ad-HOC. Sorry. I wish there was more I could tell you but if you do not have access to a hardline connection, then it looks like you might have to get a new wireless adapter.

Sorry.

-Josh :apple:

dawnraid

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
Yes you can, My brother uses his macbook to do this, sorry I dont know any of the details but you can do it, try googleing it

Josheua

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
United States
Wow, if this is the case this would have saved me alot of grief earlier this year. If you get it to work out do tell me how.

-Josh :apple:

S600MBUSA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
Georgia
Well, after reading how to do it with a Windows laptop, I got a little inspiration. I had a few bugs, but progress was made and I found a page that had specific information about how to do this with a Mac laptop. I've not got everything done yet, but if and when I do, I'll post the solution that worked.

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
Well, after reading how to do it with a Windows laptop, I got a little inspiration. I had a few bugs, but progress was made and I found a page that had specific information about how to do this with a Mac laptop. I've not got everything done yet, but if and when I do, I'll post the solution that worked.

please do as i'm very curious about your findings

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
I connect my macbook to my xbox 360 to play live and it works great.
Here's the Instructions I used from the net (don't use DHCP):

Connect xbox live from macbook

Mac OS X
1) System Preferences-->Network-->Built-in Ethernet-->TCP/IP
2) Set Configure IPv4: to Manually
- Set IP Address: to 10.0.0.1
- Set Subnet Mask: to 255.255.255.0
3) System Preferences-->Sharing-->Internet
4) Set Share your connection from: to Airport
- Set To computers using: to Built-in Ethernet
- Click Start and than Start

XBOX 360
1) While in the Dashboard, navigate to the System blade
2) Network Settings-->Edit Settings-->IP Settings-->Manual
3) Set IP Address to 10.0.0.2 ( The first three segments i.e. 10.0.0 will need to match what you set in step #2 of the Mac OS X section )
- Set Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0
- Set Gateway to 10.0.0.1 ( What you set in step #2 under the Mac OS X section )
- Click Done
4) Go to DNS Settings
*** NOTE: I set the primary to my router and the secondary to my ISP's primary. You can find your router's IP by going to your MacBook and to System Preferences-->Network-->Airport-->TCP/IP
*** NOTE: You can usually find your ISP's DNS servers in your routers status page, see the manual that came with your router for more information

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
thanks.. the xbox360 wireless adapter is a ripoff... i just used these steps and it worked great

Before you start configuring, open up Terminal (in Applications -> Utilities) and type "ifconfig en0" (zero, not a capital-o). You're looking for the bit that says "inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx". In my case, the number I get here is 192.168.2.1 Second, note down the IP address of your wireless router, which in my case is 192.168.0.1

On your Mac
Connect your Mac to your wireless internet connection
Connect your Xbox 360 to your Mac via Ethernet
In System Preferences -> Sharing, enable Internet Sharing between your Airport and Ethernet connection
On your Xbox 360
Start up your Xbox and navigate to the Network settings menu
Under IP address, enter the number you got from the "ifconfig en0" command earlier on, but with the final number one place higher. In my case, I take the 192.168.2.1, and input 192.168.2.2 in the IP address box on my Xbox 360.
Under subnet, input 255.255.255.0
Under router/gateway, enter the number you got earlier from the "ifconfig en0" command. In my case, that's "192.168.2.1"
Move onto DNS. Enter the IP address of your wireless router (in my case, "192.168.0.1") in both the primary and secondary IP address fields
Leave PPPoE and Advanced settings blank (i.e. OFF and Automatic)
You should now be able to connect to Xbox Live via your internet sharing Mac

emoeric

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2006
Can anyone help?

I followed webgoat's advice and steps as long as I could. All the way up to the IP addresses. Can someone assist me?

My situation is I am in a hotel room with free wifi. I am connected to the wifi now. The free wifi has some sort of protocol that it goes through when I first connect to it. It is quick and does not ask for a room number or password, just goes to a webpage for a millisecond and then FLASH, that page is gone and I am at the site I typed in my search bar.

When I follow webgoats advice with the terminal here is the information I get:

EricCMBPro:~ OneLove$ ifconfig en0
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether d4:9x:xx:be:xx:50
inet6 fe80::d69a:20ff:febe:8150%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
inet 169.254.xxx.xxx netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 169.254.255.255
inet 192.168.2.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control>)

webgoat has helped me satisfy 1 of the 3 steps to get on xbox live. When I input 192.168.2.2 has the manual IP and 192.168.2.1 as the gateway I get connected to the network. When it tries to pass 2 of 3 steps it fails.

For the DNS IP addresses I tried all of the above listed IP's: 169.254.255.255, 169.254.xxx.xxx, 192.168.2.255.

Anyone have a clue how to get this to work? :eek::eek:

bcburrows

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Bristol
Although it does involve spending some money, I use an airtune express for my xbox360.

Works great!

Cheaper than the xbox wireless dongle and also allows me to attach some speakers for airplay, and can simply be left on even when my mbp is taking a break (turned off) or in another room etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.