Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uncle Connolly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Hi everyone,

Having recently bought the 16gb iPod Touch, I've been looking at some in-dash iPod players for my Mazda 323.

What I would like to do is to connect the iPod Touch to an in-dash player, and be able to control the songs it plays from the iPod, and not from the player itself. This would be great as I can enjoy the touch function of the iPod and play the songs in my car at the same time.

This would need the iPod to be placed in a holder and stuck to the dash.

I have been looking at some in-dash iPod players on http://www.halfords.com but they seem to have a function where you play and select the songs from the player, and not the iPod.

Would anyone have any advice on this for me at all? Is there players out there which let you control the iPod instead of the player?

Thanks again guys. James.

ag227

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
you just need any stereo that has a normal earphone size jack aux input, then just get a cable with a earphone size jack connector thing at both ends, plug in and play. you will hav full control of the ipod on the ipod, so all you need is a mount for it and you wil be wel away.

1 thing though, dont get the cable from halfords as they stop working after about a month and you only get sound out of one side of the car :(

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
I'm not sure I'd recommend trying to use something like an ipod screen whilst driving - the in-car stereos have *very* simple interfaces for a reason... forward, back, random, etc. all on large buttons that you can use without even taking your eyes off the road.

Interesting side point: If you did the same with an iphone you'd be facing a large fine, 6 points and a court appearance. Do it with an itouch and you can theoretically get away with it - simply because the iphone is a phone.

verbalist

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069872_441259185,00.html

441259185AVH-P5900DVD_blushot_med.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.