Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Nov 17, 2007, 11:00 PM   #1
micsaund
macrumors 6502

Beginner: Simple app with Xcode

Hi all!

Ever since I've used OS X, I have wondered how to create a simple GUI based app similar to what I'd do in Delphi or Visual C#.

For example, say I want to build a form that has a text input field and a button to take that field's text and display it in a pop-up (sorta a GUI Hello World).

In Delphi/VC#, I just drag the text input field to the form, then drag a button. Double-click the button to edit the code associated with the button. Done. (I think that RealBasic works the way I'm wanting as well, but I've not used it due to the cost.)

Doing this in Xcode has thus eluded me during the limited amount of time I've spent trying it. I figure I'm missing something simple, but maybe Xcode doesn't support this kind of "edit the GUI and add code on the fly" type of model? I found the Interface Builder, which let me drag buttons and stuff around, but it was not integrated in any way that I could find with the code editor/compiler.

Am I just 100% n00b with Xcode or is my expectation of an "easy" Delphi/VC#-type application creation not possible? I just want to be able to bang-up simple, fast, and easy GUI goody programs

Thanks!
Mike
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:05 AM   #2
Soulstorm
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I just want to be able to bang-up simple, fast, and easy GUI goody programs
That's not going to happen in any system. I won't get into details, but it seems you have clearly misunderstood the notion of moving from one development platform to another.

Things are also easy and fast here on Cocoa World, but that doesn't mean you won't have to do your own homework first. That applies for any platform, even if you are moving from OS X to Windows.
Soulstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming