Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wouter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Hi,

I have a new Macbook running Leopard. I installed Windows XP using bootcamp which went OK. When I start up, the Macbook boots from Windows and there is no way I can go back to MAC OS (Leopard). How can I repair this situation. In the end I want to run Windows XP from MAC OS using VMWare Fusion.

Can someone give me advise on how to boot to Leopard again.

Thanks,

Wouter

RZetlin

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
Before boot up press the option key to bring up the boot selection menu. Select the Mac OS.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Or if that doesn't work you can reset the pram which stores the boot location by holding down cmd+option+p+r on boot.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
You can also choose the startup disk within Windows' Control Panel. Try looking there if you are reading this from Windows now.

Spliff

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I went through this Friday night, you need to take the Leopard disk and install the Bootcamp software in Windows. That way you'll have all your drivers etc.

Also as someone mentioned above, hold the [Option] key when booting up to choose which OS you want to boot into.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
To get back restart holding the Option key and select Mac OS X.

But, if your going to run Windows, you need to install the drivers which are on the Leopard install disk. This will make everything a lot better.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Mine does this too. I already know about the "option" key startup, but is there any way in preference that It can boot up OS X by default, and not my XP?

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
I'd be interested to know, as well. It is strange. On my first imac - bootcamp would always default to OSX, unless I intervened with my "Alt key" (or command).

But on this iMac - it reboots to whatever OS was last up and running.

It's only annoying because I forget sometimes, and have to stare at the windows loading screen while waiting to restart.

I saw someone else who upon each boot - it would stop at the OS selection screen automatically, that seemed nice. But I think they installed a script or something in the EFI to do it.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
that only sets it to booting OS X that time, doesnt set it to boot by default.

It should. Clicking on the Mac partition then clicking on the restart button should set that as the default. The next time you boot, it should automatically go into OS X again unless you hold down CMD and choose Windows. Even then, after choosing Windows, it should automatically go into the Mac the next time you boot and will only go into Windows if you click on it after holding down CMD again. It shouldn't change unless you do it in Control Panel or System Preferences. I don't know which happens if you click on the icon in Windows taskbar (the icon next to the clock on the lower right side), because I don't use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.