Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > iPhone Purchaser Meetups

Old Nov 18, 2007, 06:04 AM   #1
DenniZ
macrumors 6502a

[UK] Carphone Warehouse buyers

I was wondering how you pay for an iPhone in CW ?

Is it by credit card ?

and do they make you sign a contract in store or is it done on itunes ?
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:44 PM   #2
CD3660
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniZ View Post
I was wondering how you pay for an iPhone in CW ?

Is it by credit card ?

and do they make you sign a contract in store or is it done on itunes ?
1. Payment is by debit or credit card.
2. Contract is entered into with O2 when you activate the phone on iTunes.
iPhone 5
CD3660 is offline   0
Old Nov 19, 2007, 09:13 AM   #3
Piarco
macrumors 68030

I actually ended up paying cash, but that was down to their chip & pin system going down that first night! You do sign an agreement in store, but the O2 side of things are done on iTunes.
Piarco is offline   0
Old Nov 19, 2007, 04:32 PM   #4
CD3660
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piarco View Post
You do sign an agreement in store, but the O2 side of things are done on iTunes.
What agreement did you sign in store? Apple Store purchasers were not made to sign anything.
iPhone 5
CD3660 is offline   0
Old Nov 20, 2007, 03:47 AM   #5
Piarco
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD3660 View Post
What agreement did you sign in store? Apple Store purchasers were not made to sign anything.
I know - I was mildly annoyed, but it merely seems to be a statement marking the fact you purchased from them, and according to others, the form also has a paragraph stating you HAVE to register with O2 within X days of the purchase...

I couldn't be bothered with going to the Regent Street store and the CPW in Wimbledon was in the shopping centre I was doing a little bit of late night purchases. in hindsight, I should have gone to the O2 store not 200m away...
Piarco is offline   0
Old Nov 20, 2007, 03:51 AM   #6
CD3660
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piarco View Post
......it merely seems to be a statement marking the fact you purchased from them, and according to others, the form also has a paragraph stating you HAVE to register with O2 within X days of the purchase...
The cheeky so and so's, particularly as Apple themselves made no such stipulation. Perhaps they were forced to do this by their contractual terms with O2.
iPhone 5
CD3660 is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2007, 11:01 AM   #7
maclover2009
macrumors newbie

i returned mine prob purchase it once they update the software with more phone features such a delivery reports, ability to save sms drafts it just the little basic thing that didnt make me think it was worth keeping.
maclover2009 is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2007, 09:16 AM   #8
zetsurin
macrumors regular

I bought mine from CW in London because a) it was closer to work (Liverpool St) and also I figured it was 'safer' to avoid buying from both Apple and O2 as I felt doing so (particularly O2) would prompt me to be roped into a contract then and there. However after leaving CW with my iPhone feeling rushed into signing (busy store, etc) I felt quite regretful indeed.

Anyway, I don't believe the 'agreement' you signed is anything to worry about as it is NOT a contract with O2, more a protection mechanism employed by CW (and think about it, they are the only 3rd party here so might be why they have done it). They are simply covering themselves in the (likely) event that purchasers might not be aware or happy with the terms of the iPhone contract that they will encounter after the purchase. Now, I am not saying what they are doing is right, it plain sucks signing anything, but in the end of the day I don't believe they are in a position to enforce anyone to go forward with the O2 contract. As for the clause saying that you must sign up with O2 within a short timeframe is most likely them making sure that you will be out of their hair sooner. They know all to well that once you are in the O2 contract your first point of complaint would have to be with them.

I think regardless as to where you bought your iPhone from, the only real threat is the one that applies to all of us equally: your IMEI is quite possibly sent to the designated carrier (AT&T in the US, O2 in the UK) where they may be keeping a list of who's been naughty and nice. For the IMEI's that haven't been activated after a given period I guess there may be the possibility that they will block it but I believe that doing so would be an abuse of the IMEI control which is supposed to only be done in cases of phone theft. In the end of the day we paid for a product regardless and it would possibly be a violation of consumer rights for the carrier to bar a phone that was legitimately purchased. As such, a hack to allow altering the IMEI of the iPhone, while technically illegal, would be a godsend.
zetsurin is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > iPhone Purchaser Meetups