Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b.miller123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Okay, does anybody remember that old barney blaster game?

It was just like asteroids, but you shot at floating barneys instead of asteroids,

Anyways, I've been looking for that game online for a while now, and I can't find it for download anywhere but one place that wants you to sign up for something for $12, I know it's not much, but I'm not sure if the download on the site: http://www.zooass.com/whatever/beast/ is even for the game, or if it's for "barney carnage" whatever that is.....

and there is a guy on ebay selling shareware disc from years ago that have the game on them,

It's my understanding that the original game was freeware, that was avaliable for download on the author's site (which isn't up anymore),

Would this game even work on a newer mac running OSX tiger? Am I totally waisting my time? :apple::apple::apple:

b.miller123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
i have some old shareware cds/ ill look for it. i remmeber this game too lol

that would be great if you could find it!

I've looked everywhere for this game, it would be awesome if someone would put together a "classic" mac game compilation or something like that

b.miller123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Wasn't this a screen saver too? Man, I know it came on some old Mac CD but darned if I seem to have it anymore.

yeah, i think someone made it into a screen saver, I'm not sure which came first, I think the game did,

Anybody have any old shareware discs???

b.miller123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
okay, I found an old shareware disc that has the game, and a friend that might have the game on his old powerbook

My questions is now: How do I get this game to run on my iMac??? (it's running osx tiger)

Am I correct to assume that I need an emulator? for OS 9 or ??? (this is what my friend suggested) I have searched and I can't seem to find anything other than game console emulators (psx, nintendo, sega etc.)

I am kind of new to this whole mac thing (after being on the dark side for way too long), i've run emulators in the past on pc's, and I'm assuming that it'll be the same on a mac

thanks in advance for any help

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
What kind of iMac do you have? If it's a G5 or earlier, then just install and run Classic (it would be on one of the installation discs). If it's an Intel iMac, you're out of luck unless you want to buy an OS 9 CD from eBay or something and try SheepShaver (an emulator). This may or may not work for that game since it's not 100% compatible and has some bugs. Although even with Classic on a PPC Mac, it might not work since Classic isn't 100% compatible either.

--Eric

Jadin

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2010
sorry for the bump, but I was looking for this game too and google led me to this thread. Do you still have the game, or know where to get it?

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
I only remember the Screen Saver. But what a glorious screen saver. You'd need something like SheepSaver to run it on a modern Mac though. I might be able to bundle up my SheepSaver config, PM me if you are interested.

AmbrosiaGod666

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2011
Barney Blaster Isn't The Only Game

The Original version Of This Game Was Asterax And Yes There Is Also
Barney Blasters But Its Not Mac OS X There Is Only 7 To 9 Operation System
Versions And I Have Them But Here Is A Link For The Asterax Game Is FREE!

http://www.pure-mac.com/arcadeclassic.html

Just Scroll Down The List And You Will Find It By The Way The Game Barney
Blaster Was Better Because You Could Not See The Asteroids The Asterax Version Is To Dark And You Can't See The Asteroids The Plus Side Is It's Still The Same Game Its Just That Barney Blaster Is Barney Instead Of Asteroids Have Fun I Won't Reply This Time.

But Sorry It Does Not Work On Mac OS X Only Unless You Have Classic With it
Or An Emulator Does Not Really Matter Have Fun!!!

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
The Original version Of This Game Was Asterax And Yes There Is Also
Barney Blasters But Its Not Mac OS X There Is Only 7 To 9 Operation System
Versions And I Have Them But Here Is A Link For The Asterax Game Is FREE!

http://www.pure-mac.com/arcadeclassic.html

Just Scroll Down The List And You Will Find It By The Way The Game Barney
Blaster Was Better Because You Could Not See The Asteroids The Asterax Version Is To Dark And You Can't See The Asteroids The Plus Side Is It's Still The Same Game Its Just That Barney Blaster Is Barney Instead Of Asteroids Have Fun I Won't Reply This Time.

But Sorry It Does Not Work On Mac OS X Only Unless You Have Classic With it
Or An Emulator Does Not Really Matter Have Fun!!!

I was reminiscing about the old games in another thread. Smoly Hokes!!! I had forgotten about that treasure chest. And I was going to donate my G4 to a locale school. Not anymore. It's party time. Thank you for your footwork and reaserch skills.

AmbrosiaGod666

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2011
I was reminiscing about the old games in another thread. Smoly Hokes!!! I had forgotten about that treasure chest. And I was going to donate my G4 to a locale school. Not anymore. It's party time. Thank you for your footwork and reaserch skills.

I Know I Was Not Going To Reply To This But Just To Let You Know Getting Mac OS 9.2.2 Is Very Rare Also Emulators Never Work Unless You Know Your System Really Well Just So You Know Those Two games Asterax And Barney Blasters Are Only Good If You Have Mac OS 9 Classic But Thank You For Your Nice Comment Its Good To Know I Helped Also Check The Link Below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9UbDIAYtck

Reactions: Tailpike1153
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.