Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nbusse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
boston
I'm very used to using 'real' sequencing/editing programs like DP and ProTools. It's always crucial to know where your digital audio is being recorded & stored in those programs; I'd still like to maintain that level of control over GB. They've made this such a user-friendly device, that not only do you not have to choose where it'll record files, but I can't seem to find where it does stash them!

I've been poking around & think I understand how the loop system works, those files seem to all be in the library. But what happens when you record new audio? :confused:
This is really important to know - what if you want to later clear space on the drive by deleting old audio files, or what if you have a really neat audio file that you want to use somewhere else. Is there any way to find this GB-recorded audio from the finder level?
thanks from a new iLife explorer...

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Don't know exactly what you're talking about but this may help. Go to Music>Garageband in your Finder window. There should be your Garageband music file. Right-click, and click on 'Show Package Contents'. Then just navigate around in there, and you should find it. Hope this helps.

nbusse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
boston
yes, I did fid this. It seems to be just the songs. I practiced with a song, where I used some Apple Loops, recorded in some vocal tracks, and made an m4a mix of it. So in this view, when you go to Music > Garage Band, it shows me all the song titles, and the m4a file is there. But I'm looking for the individual vocal tracks that were recorded in. what happens to those?

djvillain2003

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2007
Audio files for Garageband...

Hello,
I figured out where Apple keeps those audio files that you record in Garageband! You just go to your Music folder and Control click on your Garageband song...click on Show package contents...it is under Media.
John

herbshirt

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009
Thanks John, that is nifty to know BUT...

What if the files are missing?! They are for me and I can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

KaneDWilliams

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2014
/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/ took me to the folder but can't find where my audio is either.

Also, if I record a vocal and then delete it from the sequencer timeline or even use undo, does this delete the file?

I want to be able to find where all the audio I have recorded is and delete all the stuff not being used in my tracks. basically all the duff takes etc.

How do I do this? Can't even find where the audio is.

----------

Ok, it seems it is a simple as finding the actual GB song file (mine in main Music directory), then ctrl & right click and chose 'show package contents'. There you will see the audio files.

analogika

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2014
Every GarageBand project is self-contained. No recorded audio is stored ANYWHERE outside of the actual project file (actually a folder with a .band extension).

If you control-click/right-click on the Garageband project and Show Package Contents, recorded audio tracks are located in /Media/Audio Files/. (Incidentally, Logic defaults to storing recorded audio within the project folder, as well.)

I just tested this with the latest version of GarageBand:
The audio files are deleted from disk entirely once the project has been saved after deleting the audio region (the "Undo" option is no longer available from the Edit menu at that point, either).

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/ is the location for the pre-installed GarageBand content such as templates and preset channel strips/patches.

The actual (pre-fabbed, not user-recorded) audio loops and samples that GarageBand uses are available to all other audio apps that wish to use them, as well, and are located at /Library/Audio/Apple Loops/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.