Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SrMasterSell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Tampa, FL, USA
I used an external Windows formatted USB hard drive to transport my files from my old laptop to my new Black MacBook.

There are files I do not need, so on my MacBook I highlighted the files and directories and dragged them to the trash, a dialog box asked me for my password, I supplied it, then nothing happened, ie, it did not delete the files.

I am not sure what this means, and I want to delete the files.

SrMasterSell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Tampa, FL, USA
I answered my own question

I figured out my answer...

The folder that the files were located in was locked, I highlighted the folder, hit Command-I to bring up the info, then I unchecked "Locked", closed out of that dialog box and dragged to the trash.

Hope this helps others.

Ron

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
I figured out my answer...

The folder that the files were located in was locked, I highlighted the folder, hit Command-I to bring up the info, then I unchecked "Locked", closed out of that dialog box and dragged to the trash.

Hope this helps others.

Ron

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to thank you for posting your solution. It certainly helped me.

goWarriors

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009
Wanted to add to this useful post.

I had files that required a password to delete. command-i revealed that the file/directotry was not locked (the Locked check box was not checked). At the bottom, however, showed that I only had read privilege. The solution was to invoke the Terminal (Finder>Applications>Utilities>Terminal), then :

$ cd <the directory that contains the file or directory or file that you want to delete>
$ chmod -R 777 <the file or directory or file that you want to delete>

The file/directory should now be able to be deleted without a password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.