Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community

Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:25 PM   #1
whfsdude
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to whfsdude Send a message via Skype™ to whfsdude
Girls Made To Wear Trash-Bag Skirts As Punishment

HAHA!

http://www.local6.com/news/2496172/detail.html

"Two Bronx girls reportedly had to wear skirts made of trash bags to class as a punishment for coming to school in jeans rather than their uniforms.

The sixth-graders at the Bronx Preparatory Charter School were made to wear the bags by principal Marina Bernard Damiba.

Damiba called the garbage-bag skirts "Damiba fashions" and said they weren't meant to be humiliating."
whfsdude is offline   0
Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:38 PM   #2
tazo

Send a message via ICQ to tazo Send a message via AIM to tazo Send a message via Yahoo to tazo
I don't know where I stand on this; On one hand these girls violated the school's rules, and on the other hand it seems somewhat unfair to make them do something potentially humiliating.
tazo is offline   0
Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:43 PM   #3
iJon
macrumors 604

thats stupid as hell. im glad i dont go to a school that makes you wear uniforms. i think its stupid to begin with.

iJon
iJon is offline   0
Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:46 PM   #4
pseudobrit
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to pseudobrit
Wrong. Punishment should have been detention and making them wear the real uniform.

It's not right to have such subjective punishment; it should be a common and evenly distributed punishment applicable to every student equally.

What ever happened to detention?

I mean, I'ven't been out of school for much more than half a decade, and though it was a Catholic school, I can't imagine teachers at any school not being able to administer some sort of standard punishment such as detention.

What does forcing them to violate the dress code in a humiliating manner prove? Should a guy who comes in with too much facial hair be forced to wear a skirt too? Or a fake moustache?

Why do school administrators do dumb things.... oh, that's right, because they're administrators, aka "teachers who hated teaching and/or kids."
Old Sep 20, 2003, 11:16 PM   #5
Stelliform
macrumors 68000

When I went to school they had a closet of uniforms for situations like this. Then you had to wear some nasty funky ten year old uniform.... It was just as embarrassing.

If this was a private school then the administration can do whatever it wants. A local fundamental christian school gave detention to kids who watched Titanic. (At home on their own time..)
Old Sep 20, 2003, 11:19 PM   #6
Durandal7
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally posted by Stelliform
A local fundamental christian school gave detention to kids who watched Titanic. (At home on their own time..)
Eh? Am I missing something here?
Durandal7 is offline   0
Old Sep 20, 2003, 11:28 PM   #7
Stelliform
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally posted by Durandal7
Eh? Am I missing something here?
Nope... It is a wacky school. They aren't even accredited so the graduates get a GED.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 11:30 PM   #8
tazo

Send a message via ICQ to tazo Send a message via AIM to tazo Send a message via Yahoo to tazo
there was nudity in there....i think that may have been the reason.

I am sure that there have been many cases where a religous school has punished children for seemingly inane things, we just seem to enjoy pointing out that they're Christian at the same time.
tazo is offline   0
Old Sep 20, 2003, 11:33 PM   #9
Stelliform
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally posted by tazo
there was nudity in there....i think that may have been the reason.

I am sure that there have been many cases where a religous school has punished children for seemingly inane things, we just seem to enjoy pointing out that they're Christian at the same time.
heh I am Catholic. And tired, so maybe I was taking a jab. (my wife is Protestant. I always thought we should go to Ireland. )
Old Sep 21, 2003, 12:45 AM   #10
Daveman Deluxe
macrumors 68000

When I was in high school, I got detention from one of the monitors for being too near the creek (there's a creek that runs through the high school).

I asked around. There has never been a rule against being near the creek at my school. I asked dozens of people and NOBODY had ever heard of that as a rule.

Not only that, but my school didn't have detention.

The guy was a total jerk anyway, I'm glad he left my freshman year. We all hated him.
Daveman Deluxe is offline   0
Old Sep 21, 2003, 07:25 PM   #11
wdlove
macrumors 604

They should have just sent them home to change back into their uniforms. I think that it was wrong to humiliate them in that way.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community