Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsc12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Hi, this is a bit of a question and a bit of a complaint. Can anyone tell me why if it is possible to get radio (FM) on the iphone, i understand they want you to buy from itunes but it really annoys me because sometimes i want to listen to my cd's and other times i prefer the radio. Does anyone know if it is possible, does the phone have a fm receiver in it? Thanks.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Hi, this is a bit of a question and a bit of a complaint. Can anyone tell me why if it is possible to get radio (FM) on the iphone, i understand they want you to buy from itunes but it really annoys me because sometimes i want to listen to my cd's and other times i prefer the radio. Does anyone know if it is possible, does the phone have a fm receiver in it? Thanks.

Unfortunately, no. And for some reason Apple also chose to make the old external ipod radio accessory useless on the iphone. Anybody know of anything else?

pdadoc

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2007
The lack of an FM radio is truly annoying. I used my ipod previously to work out in a gym that has TVs set to FM frequencies. This is fairly common, but unfortunately, this can't be done anymore with the iphone. I'm somewhat surprised they haven't release an updated FM tuner...

kingicon1

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
I used my ipod previously to work out in a gym that has TVs set to FM frequencies.

Ive been thinking about picking up the radio remote deal for my new nano for the same reason.. I really dont see the iphone being too useful for this tho. I love my iPhone.. but I think its too heavy/big to use while working out. Maybe I've gotten to use to the new nano clipped on me while I work out, but without a pocket to put the iPhone in.. and the fact that the Y I go to really seems to dislike the use of phones in most of the facility.

pdadoc

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2007
While of course this is a personal like/dislike issue, I *always* workout with my iphone. It's small/thin/light enough for me to simply hold while I'm running- doesn't bother me at all, but I could understand how someone might not want to hold it....

juwanh

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008
There is another...

Unfortunately, no. And for some reason Apple also chose to make the old external ipod radio accessory useless on the iphone. Anybody know of anything else?

I found one that works with my iPhone. The only thing is that the numbers of the radio stations do not show up on screen, but the radio function still works. The iPod remote function also works, skip track forward and back, and volume up and down controls iPhone volume and volume on-screen display:

http://www.convopeace.com

Juvenile

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
I found one that works with my iPhone. The only thing is that the numbers of the radio stations do not show up on screen, but the radio function still works. The iPod remote function also works, skip track forward and back, and volume up and down controls iPhone volume and volume on-screen display:

http://www.convopeace.com

Can anyone else confirm this? A newbie promoting a website/product makes me cautious. No offense newb;)

juwanh

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008
Can anyone else confirm this? A newbie promoting a website/product makes me cautious. No offense newb;)

LOL understood. I will try to make a youtube video of it working tonight. I can take pics as well. The Model number if you want to google it is: BEL-iR006

pdadoc

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2007

juwanh

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008
If this is true, it would be great. In searching for that model number, I found it for $9.98 at this url: http://www.rightwholesale.com/p228/Mini_Radio_and_Wired_Remote_for_iPod/product_info.html

I see on the other site that was provided (http://www.convopeace.com) that it is $25 there, although I do NOT see that model number, and it looks somewhat different.

It's the same adapter. They come in black and white. It's cheaper in China but if you lived in Bermuda like me, you would probably get them from convopeace.com and save a lot of money on shipping costs! LOL. Not sure if there is another dealer closer to the US or UK.

One other thing I wanted to add, when searching for radio stations, since the numbers don't appear on the iPhone screen, all you have to do is click and hold the track skip buttons and it will automatically scans to the next station.

Maybe iPhone/iTouch compatibility with the Apple Radio Remote will be announced next week at MW Expo, and maybe not. Until then, enjoy...

turnipsun

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2005
Confrim FM radio on iPhone

Can anybody confirm that the iPhone works with these FM radio adapters???

mrlopez

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2007
Fresno
Well I use the griffin fm radio adapter works great but only if you have it on airplane mode or if you don't mind a little of interference with the phone turn on, just my 2 cents

jimpom23

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2008
Got the one from China mentioned below and as the other poster says it does not display the radio station on the screen (and also presume it makes presets difficult to manage)

In addition, if you switch to music you have to plug the headphones back into the main socket or it plays out of the speaker.

Not too upset as it only cost me £8 but may well look into one of the other makes knocking around on ebay.

ninja dog

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2008
Well I use the griffin fm radio adapter works great but only if you have it on airplane mode or if you don't mind a little of interference with the phone turn on, just my 2 cents

Are you talking about iTrip? Mine instantly showed the message "incompatible." I'd love to know how to use it in the car.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I am continually absolutely baffled why we haven't got an iPhone compatible new radio remote with an FM tuner & the iPhone mic and a clickwheel for track skipping.

It'd sell like hotcakes.

Phazer

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Are you talking about iTrip? Mine instantly showed the message "incompatible." I'd love to know how to use it in the car.

I use my itrip with my iphone and works fine. i get a message saying something like not made for this product, but it works brill for me :)

Edit: the message i get says do u want to learn the iPhone into airport mode. Just say No

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
BBC Radio Mobile is easily streamed with the iphone. It has a whole list of all bbc radio channels, including sports, and news. All the bbc radio channels can be easily streamed over any internet connection, wifi, through pc or mobile/pda. Follow the link http://www.bbcradio.mobi

a) These won't play, since they're in rm or Windows Media format.
b) streaming over Edge is expressly prohibited by O2's contract.
c) this will kill the battery like nobody's business.

However, at least apparently radio remote support is in 2.0...

Phazer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.