Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 19, 2007, 02:43 PM   #1
dudecati
macrumors newbie

Possible to play Quicktime movies?

Hi All, I'm new to the idea of purchasing an Apple TV and have a basic question that I'm don't seem to be able to find an answer to. Can I play Quicktime files using Apple TV? The person at the Apple store said that since iTunes can play Quicktime files I can but I have had no luck in getting iTunes to playback my content. So was I given incorrect info or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
dudecati is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 02:45 PM   #2
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
Only certain types of files can be played on the ATV. ATV uses Quicktime for playback, thus it's use is restricted to the codecs that it supports. I can't tell you all of them, but certainly it will play MPEG4 H.264 files. You can use Handbrake to convert DVD VOB files to ATV format, or you can use Visual Hub to convert a variety of files to ATV-compatible ones.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 02:53 PM   #3
AppleNinja
macrumors member

you need to convert them ... you can use moviepod for ipods or you can torrent some nice software for converting handbrake is probably the best bet for your problem... just use a disc emulator and then handbrake and your set have fun
Since Birth
AppleNinja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 03:01 PM   #4
NightStorm
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNinja View Post
you need to convert them ... you can use moviepod for ipods or you can torrent some nice software for converting handbrake is probably the best bet for your problem... just use a disc emulator and then handbrake and your set have fun
For this particular problem, Handbrake is not the solution you would want. If you have an incompatible Quicktime file, you'd need to use something else (Quicktime Pro, VisualHub, etc).
NightStorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 06:54 PM   #5
tronic72
macrumors regular

I second that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStorm View Post
For this particular problem, Handbrake is not the solution you would want. If you have an incompatible Quicktime file, you'd need to use something else (Quicktime Pro, VisualHub, etc).
I agree, HandBrake is the wrong tool for that. Visual Hub is the best for changing formats.
tronic72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:51 PM   #6
cohibadad
macrumors 6502a

Not every QT file will sync/stream/play on TV. See video formats supported on http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html
cohibadad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:53 PM   #7
peeaanuut
Banned

Send a message via AIM to peeaanuut
fwiw: my small digital still camera does vga movies as quicktime and I need to convert them for the aTV to see them.
peeaanuut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 04:56 AM   #8
rogov
macrumors newbie

iTunes has an option to "Convert Selection to AppleTV". I presume any Quicktime movie iTunes can recognize can also be converted to AppleTV.
rogov is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater