Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoveliestofMen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2002
Lovely Town
So, I am considering the new 12in PB but I know that Apple tends to offload a lot of their OS onto the GPU. I'm sure the 12in PB graphics chip is fine for now, but what do people think about its long term viability? Am I going to be obsolete in 2 years? Is the 15in with the ATI that much better?

I'd rather get the 12in for its form factor, and I will not be doing any real hard core gaming on it. But, if people say the 15in is $500 better, I'd consider it.

Thanks!

alxths

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2003
I was actually debating the same thing myself(I'm buying a 12"er this week). And basically, the ATi is obviously the better card, but the fx5200 isn't bad either. So you'll have to turn the detail down a bit for certain games.. I find I really dont notice such things while I'm playing. For me, the difference between teh two isn't enough for me to spend the extra money and deal with the extra size/weight.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
The new GF in the 12" is better than the old GF 4MX in the old 12", but it isn't better than the Radeon 9600. The 9000 might even be better. But that depends on what you do. If you don't do any "hardcore gaming" as you said, you'll be fine with either (just load it full of RAM). But if speed is an issue, the 15" would be better. Panther's supposed to be faster either way.

You should go test them out in person. Go to an Apple Store, or CompUSA, or Best Buy, and try them yourself. See what you think. I think you'll be happy with either one.

LoveliestofMen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2002
Lovely Town
AnandTech Article

Thanks for all of the input. The one thing I found interesting in the AnandTech review was this line:

"We can’t even begin to hypothesize or speculate the performance results for Go5200, which is a full DX9 part, had we sought to include it in this review."

Does this imply the Go 5200 is better or worse than the Go 5650? It seems to read that it would be better, but then the number is lower. Perhaps the number means nothing...?

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
Re: AnandTech Article

Originally posted by LoveliestofMen

Does this imply the Go 5200 is better or worse than the Go 5650? It seems to read that it would be better, but then the number is lower. Perhaps the number means nothing...?

Trust me its worse, a lot worse. The 5600 was supposed to be the replacment for the ti4200 on the desktop and the 5200 a replacement for the geforce4mx. Well niether has faired well against ATI and the 5200 is a very low performance card. Its good for a non gamer, and better than the old 12" has, but still nothing great.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
the 5200 is a very low performance card. Its good for a non gamer, and better than the old 12" has, but still nothing great

I beg to differ. While the 5200 isn't a top-o'-the-line GPU it is leaps and bound higher than both the previous 12" and the previous 15" Ti's 8500. And it is most certianly great for a on-the-go gamer. Look at it this way, the previous 520 MX w/ 32MB of VRAM would run Quake III (a basic testing game everyone uses as you know) at around 75FPS, that pretty good seeing the 520 MX was the equivilant of a GeForce III. With the 5200 we have past the GeForce4 and went directly to the FX series with Hardware T&L and fully DX9 compatible (which isnt "really" important for a Mac User (the DX9 thing not the T&L I mean)) Overall the new 5200 Go should be able to run any game produced previous to say NOW at full graphic settings, as long as the overall machine has enough ram. And I would imagine that the 5200 Go should remain effective, even though at slightly reduced graphics, for at least 2 years. Unless of course some game is released that needs an ungodly vid card. Heck, I had no problems running Alien vs. Predator 2 on my old GeForce2 MX without a problem and its over two years old.

mule

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2004
I just got a pb 12" tonight. I loaded up warcraft 3 and played a game of Tides of Blood. Overall the graphics were good, but i lagged a good bit and the map took a while to load.. I only have 256mb of ram from the factory.. Is it reasonable to think that the reason performance was so choppy at 1024 is because I need more ram? This is my first mac and tho I don't want to game on it hardcore, I would like to be able to play the occasional game or WC3 and maybe some WoW when it comes out.. If they are both gonna be this choppy I don't know that I want to keep this machine.

Engagebot

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
LSU - Baton Rouge
put it this way:

i have benchmarked a lot of video cards on my pc, here are some 3D mark scores for you:

GeForce FX5200: 3843
GeForce 4 MX 420: 4075 (6% greater than the much newer FX!)
GeForce2 Ultra: 5457 (42% greater than the FX, and came out in 1999/2000)
ATI Radeon 7500: 5472 (42% faster)
GeForce4 MX 440: 5633 (47% faster)
ATI Radeon 9000: 7312 (90% faster)
GeForce3 Ti 200: 7516 (96% faster than the new FX!)
Ati Radeon 9500/9700: 12703 (231% faster than the FX, and i got it over a year ago for $150 in a retail store)

imagine what a 9800 pro could do in a G5...

As you can see, the new FX cards are dissappointing, considering that nvidias much older stuff can whip its tail.

I dont know why apple cant just put the ati cards in all the PBs, i mean theyre charging enough already, and the radeons they put in the higher ones arent any kind of powerhouse. Why do they insist on putting 3+ year old technology in a $2000 laptop?

granted this is PC stuff, but you get my drift. nvidia has actually caught a lot of crap about the FX cards because they "optimized" their driver set to benchmark higher on certain tests than they would ever get in real life.

These scores were all benchmarked on my Athlon XP 2400 machine with a Soyo Dragon Kt400 ultra motherboard and 1GB DDR400 memory. I borrowed these cards for a benchmark for one of my computer architecture classes.

i'm in my 4th year of computer science in college. Yes this is a simple comparison, and believe me, i can get as technical as you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.