Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Nov 20, 2007, 04:43 PM   #1
hah116
macrumors newbie

Unhappy iPhone constantly freezing up/not working

Hello,

My iPhone has very recently been misbehaving.
It constantly freezes and locks up on the screen where you have to slide and unlock it. The animation behind the slider stops and the screen is unresponsive to touch. The phone has locked up in the Mail app and this problem is really worrying me.
I tried to restore and update it to 1.1.2 hoping that would help... and it has not.

Any advice on what could be the problem?

Thanks!
hah116
30 GB iPod (5G)
hah116 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 06:42 PM   #2
Dingo Dave 69
macrumors regular

I had the same thing happen to me twice tonight, first time is ever happened and of course it was when I was with friends and trying to show them how good the phone was doh!
Dingo Dave 69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 06:24 AM   #3
arrash
macrumors member

Hey,

I had the EXACT same problem today with the freezing on the unlock screen and the slider animation freezing. Actually, my wife's iPhone and mine both froze like that completely. What I found out was it was the wifi causing it. Earlier today, I went to a relatives home who had the same wifi network name (SSID) as I do at my home except our WPA passwords are different. I went into the wifi setup, "forgot" the network in there and then re-added my home wifi network. Since then, it works like a champ! If you changed your wifi password, network name (SSID), or were recently in another location that might have the same SSIS, check that out first and foremost!

I was getting ready to uninstall my apps, restore back to factory settings and go from there when I had a hunch about wifi. Let me know if that works for you.
arrash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 03:04 PM   #4
Dingo Dave 69
macrumors regular

Mines was doing this when I was showing the phone off to people and using GPRS. I don't believe there was a wifi signal where I was. It was really bad but sorted itself out after an hour or so. It basically froze on the menu and would seem to catch up with things I had pressed about 30 seconds beforehand. Eventually it froze on the slider when trying to unlock it. I was in a pub and left it and it sorted itself out but didn't amuse me or impress the people I was showing it too!
Dingo Dave 69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 07:48 PM   #5
Learjet035
macrumors 6502

Same problem here, and with a few of my friends. It was working great until the updates started coming down from apple.
Learjet035 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 08:17 PM   #6
CD3660
macrumors 68030

Try these tips:

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/ipho...hooting/phone/
iPhone 5
CD3660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 08:25 PM   #7
CRMad
macrumors newbie

I just got an iPhone last week and was shocked when I had this problem. I was able to diagnose that it is related to the wifi connection though. What I was able to figure out was when it freezes then press the volume up or down buttons. It will then sort of respond. You keep doing that until you can get to the Settings and turn the WiFi off. As soon as you turn the WiFi off then it returns to normal. I am now trying to get into the habit of turning the WiFi off when I am leaving the connection that I am using and then turn it on when I want to find another connection. This will also help increase the battery life.

I hope this helps someone.
CRMad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:05 PM   #8
tny
macrumors 6502

I find that if it's under 250 MB free, I start to see these symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hah116 View Post
Hello,

My iPhone has very recently been misbehaving.
It constantly freezes and locks up on the screen where you have to slide and unlock it. The animation behind the slider stops and the screen is unresponsive to touch. The phone has locked up in the Mail app and this problem is really worrying me.
I tried to restore and update it to 1.1.2 hoping that would help... and it has not.

Any advice on what could be the problem?

Thanks!
hah116
tny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 05:42 AM   #9
twinclaire
macrumors newbie

Hi this happend to us, if you press the off button of at the top and the bottom button of together hold both in for about 30 seconds this will unfreeze it without you having to reset it, works for us hope this helps
melanie.

Last edited by twinclaire; Jun 26, 2008 at 06:01 AM.
twinclaire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 07:22 AM   #10
CD3660
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinclaire View Post
Hi this happend to us, if you press the off button of at the top and the bottom button of together hold both in for about 30 seconds this will unfreeze it without you having to reset it, works for us hope this helps
melanie.
That is what Apple actually call a reset :

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/ipho...ooting/phone/#

Quote:
Reset

To reset iPhone, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least 10 seconds. During this time, a red "power off" slider may appear, but do not release Sleep/Wake and Home buttons until the Apple logo appears.
iPhone 5
CD3660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting