Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Nov 20, 2007, 04:47 PM   #1
janey
macrumors 603

Sibelius PDF export possible?

Heyas all! I'm not sure this is the right forum to post my question in, but there seem to be enough people mentioning having used Sibelius here that someone might know the answer to my dilemma.

In short, I'd like to export all my Sibelius stuff to PDF. I looked at the File > Export > Graphics... option which gives me even the option of a .bmp (!), to doing Print > PDF > Save as PDF which comes out looking awful. I'm also aware of some pretty hackish ways to get the result I want, but I'm looking for a fairly simple tool, i.e. .sib -> one .pdf with multiple pages with one click.

I noted Sibelius exports in a gazillion different eps options and Preview neatly converts them all to pdf, but it's sort of a hassle to convert them and have like 15 separate pdfs to join together..

janey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 05:14 PM   #2
zimv20
macrumors 601

hm, I've had good results with print/save as pdf. If you'd like, once I'm home, I can provide a sample.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 05:30 PM   #3
sahnert
macrumors 6502

I just tried with Print > Save as PDF.
When you open it with Prievew, it looks ugly if you are looking at the whole page, but if you zoom in everything shows up nice and clear. Not sure if this is the issue you are having though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	476
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	91855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	312
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	91856  
sahnert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 05:33 PM   #4
Loge
macrumors 68000

The Save To PDF option in Sibelius 4 and above does not work properly, and produces blocky looking PDFs (at least on the screen).

There is an easy workaround. Use the Save to PostScript option to produce a PostScript file, and then open that in preview which will convert it into a PDF. These PDFs look fine.
Loge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 06:54 PM   #5
zimv20
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loge View Post
The Save To PDF option in Sibelius 4 and above does not work properly
i had no issues with that in 4 and have none in 5. fwiw.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 08:54 PM   #6
janey
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimv20 View Post
hm, I've had good results with print/save as pdf. If you'd like, once I'm home, I can provide a sample.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahnert View Post
I just tried with Print > Save as PDF.
When you open it with Prievew, it looks ugly if you are looking at the whole page, but if you zoom in everything shows up nice and clear. Not sure if this is the issue you are having though...
That's pretty much the problem I ran into. I zoomed in and it was still blocky and weird - if you zoom in a lot, the notes look fairly nice and clear, but things like wedge shaped crescendo markings don't look as nice, for example:

when using the "Save as PDF" option, and...

the same marking when using any other export option - whoops zoomed in too much on the second pic

In contrast, the PostScript stuff Sibelius does export, when converted to PDF, looks fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loge View Post
The Save To PDF option in Sibelius 4 and above does not work properly, and produces blocky looking PDFs (at least on the screen).

There is an easy workaround. Use the Save to PostScript option to produce a PostScript file, and then open that in preview which will convert it into a PDF. These PDFs look fine.
Argh. I saw the PostScript options in Sibelius export (I'm using 5), but not the PostScript option in Print. It works fantastically, thanks, it's exactly what I was looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimv20 View Post
i had no issues with that in 4 and have none in 5. fwiw.
If you look above at the sample, I do run into a couple issues. And this is the "Save as PDF" option that's in the print dialog, nothing in Sibelius.

Last edited by janey; Nov 20, 2007 at 09:00 PM.
janey is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio