Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfreek57

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
does anyone know the actual name of the old video connector that apple used to use? the one that was used, i think, from the early 90's to maybe the blue and white g3.
is it called db-15? it has 15 pins but i think that's the name of the standard wintel-type vga connector.

and more importantly...
what would be the pin layout as compared to the normal wintel connector (which i am aware apple used for a while but that's not important)?

i'm trying to splice a new head onto my old apple monitor.

use this if you need to because this is what it looks like
(ignore the dashes on the sides)

--______________ --
--\o o o o o o o o/ --
-- \o o o o o o o/ --

macfreek57

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Re: connector

Originally posted by Apple Corps
Does 15 pin VGA connector work for you?? :D

no becuse that's no what it is, i think
if you look at the "diagram" that i made, you can see that it's not a 15 pin VGA connector. maybe i wasn't clear enough in my post

what is refered to as a "15-pin VGA connector" has three rows of pins -- 5, 5, and 5 i think. but apple used to have a connector that had 15 pins, but it was in two rows -- 8 and 7. what was that one called?
and the comparison between the two as i asked earlier.

thanks

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The old Apple Monitor Interface is D(B)-15, VGA is HD(B)-15. You can usually go into any computer store and find an adapter, to go either ways. Pretty much the only difference is the divverent rows, I believe that the same numbered pins, havave the same between both.

TEG

macfreek57

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
really any computer store? i was just going on the assuption that i would find nothing for it except for on ebay so i was just going to make my own.

anyway

does anyone know the numbering sytem for the pins? in case i end up splicing that is.

i assume it's like this:

-- 1 3 5 7 9 11 13 15
--_____________ --
--\o o o o o o o o/ --
-- \o o o o o o o/ --
---2 4 6 8101214

but i'm not sure. can anyone confirm this?

and thanks guys for your help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.