Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple321

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Hey guys,

I bought an iClear case for my iPod Touch that came with a static screen protector. I like the screen protector a lot because it is cut to size and keeps me from worrying about the screen scratching from things while it is in my pocket. It was good until I tried to fix an air bubble under the screen and I got a few fingerprints on the clingy side of the protector.

Does anyone know how to clean fingerprints from this static side of these types of protectors? I've tried rinsing it under water and rubbing it, but the fingerprints oils still remain. Anyone have any ideas on what to do to clean these types of screens? I want to keep using it since it is static and not adhesive but I dont want to set it back down with a ton of prints on it.

If I just decided to put the protector on even thought it has a few fingerprints on the side that is touching the ipod, will fingerprint oils harm the iPod Touch screen? I know leaving fingerprint oils on some things can harm them and leave permanent fingerprint marks, but I don't know anything about the glass the iPod Touch is made from.

Thanks!

DMC-12

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Nashville, TN
I seriously doubt that finger print oils will harm the touch's glass screen.
Maybe just try a wet cloth to get the prints off. Maybe a dab of rubbing alcohol. Even razor blades are no match for the space-age material Jobs used to make the touch's and iPhone's screens.

Apple321

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
I seriously doubt that finger print oils will harm the touch's glass screen.
Maybe just try a wet cloth to get the prints off. Maybe a dab of rubbing alcohol. Even razor blades are no match for the space-age material Jobs used to make the touch's and iPhone's screens.

Thats what I hoped for, but I wasn't sure if any long-term contact with fingerprint oil and things like that would hurt it at all.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
I did the same thing with my static cling screen protector, only I tried cleaning it with a cloth and just made the problem worse, now theres all sorts of random dirt under it. I have no idea how to fix it. If there was a way to destaticise the film then I could clean it.

Apple321

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
I did the same thing with my static cling screen protector, only I tried cleaning it with a cloth and just made the problem worse, now theres all sorts of random dirt under it. I have no idea how to fix it. If there was a way to destaticise the film then I could clean it.

Its probably pretty easy to take the static properties away, but it would be more of a problem of getting it back after you cleaned it.

Been a while since physics class for me...

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
The iPod Touch's screen is made of glass anyway, so unlike other iPods it is very hard to scratch it in the first place. I've had my Touch for around three months now, and only for the last two weeks I've used a static screen protector (there were no scratches before I put it on, so it was a mere "just in case" thing). It's the back of the iPod that is prone to scratching, so you may want to put a protector on there too (personally I didn't because after all it is just the back and if someone wants to look at the iPod they rarely ever look there anyway).

marykay9507

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
Hey guys,

Does anyone know how to clean fingerprints from this static side of these types of protectors? I've tried rinsing it under water and rubbing it, but the fingerprints oils still remain. Anyone have any ideas on what to do to clean these types of screens? I want to keep using it since it is static and not adhesive but I dont want to set it back down with a ton of prints on it.

QUOTE]

Did you try using a micro fiber cloth? they tend to get fingerprints off of pretty much anything?

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Maybe running it through the rinse cycle in the dishwasher. ;)

delude

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2007
UK
I've just installed one and had to do the following to clean it:

*Rub the area with a wet flannel
*Wait until it dries, or rub it with dry part of flannel
*Use sellotape to stick and then peel off dirt

angenoir

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
i've had to deal with this seeing as how i managed to put it on upside down the first time...the best way to clean the static side (and the glossy side) is to simply use a peice of clear scotch tape. Put it on the place of the fingerprint and remove it...do so as many times as you need to to get rid of it completely (maybe 2 or three times). Once you apply the protector again it may appear to have tape residue on it but for somereason it literally dissapears in a few minutes. Hope it works :)

delude

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2007
UK
^Agreed. My screen looks lovely and glossy with it on now :D Fingerprint seem to instantly disappear and it feels nice to touch. This was the cheapo protector from the http://www.ifrogz.com site as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.