Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
pen + paper

computer note taking isn't well suited to engineering as I have to take down a lot of equations and diagrams very quickly.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
I have a ruled reporter's Moleskines for each subject. They're durable and great quality and last forever. I can write and draw diagrams as necessary far more quickly than I could on my mac.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I use Journaler. It's simple and does what I want it to, with quite a useful file system.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
I haven't set foot in a classroom in well over a decade, but if I did I'd probably use VoodooPad. I use it to keep track of work-related things now and it's great.

It's like having a local, personal world-wide-web.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
Pen & paper. It's a lot less distracting that a computer, feels more natural to me, allows me to make faster changes (no hunting around with the cursor to go back) and drawing diagrams and equations is a nightmare on a computer.

imac/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
i usually use microsoft onenote but i always distract myself by surfing the web in class :rolleyes:

As a former professor, I would recommend not surfing the web in class. The instructor can always tell no matter how sneaky you are being. It was always amusing to me the students that thought I didn't see them surfing the web or even sleeping.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I don't :D

And it hasn't hurt me yet. I have a 3.5 GPA and a 4.0 GPA in my major. I'm pretty decent at memorization (and if there's a question pool handed out before a test, it's basically a guaranteed A for me)

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
I tried to use my PowerBook for taking notes a while back, but it just didn't work for any of my subjects. :(

Biology - too many diagrams and graphs

Business Studies - the teacher prints out all the notes for us

Geography - most notes have to be taken on specific printed out sheets

Psychology - notes go in course notes book

So I'm back using boring old pen and paper.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Pencil and paper for math and Office 2004's notebook feature for everything else. I've found it particularly worthwhile to have a laptop in college because I type a whole lot faster than I write and I can edit my notes without any hassle (amongst other things).
-Chasen

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
pen and paper

I have never heard of a lecturer going too fast that taking paper notes isn't possible/a computer is necessary.

Plus it seems that actually physically writing the notes helps me retain that information, rather than typing.

I'm also safe in case anything would happen to my MB. I'd still have all of my notes.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Back in the day, I used a Psion Series 5 for a while. Best PDA keyboard ever made, still better than any I know even now.

Ultimately I went back to pen and paper though... more space, easier, more reliable :)

The Psion was nice when you had to write a report though, with the ability to sync it up to the PC at home and use copy/paste on the notes.

I suspect a Tablet PC would be a good one these days.

adroit

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Victoria, BC
As a former professor, I would recommend not surfing the web in class. The instructor can always tell no matter how sneaky you are being. It was always amusing to me the students that thought I didn't see them surfing the web or even sleeping.

Funny that you mentioned that. I do that all the time but I never tried to hide it though. I usually just go to class so that I know what we're learning about so I can study the right thing. The actual learning part are usually done at home.

Back to the question. I find that it is best to use pen and paper, unless the course notes is posted in online pdf. In that case, I usually add in the comments right on the slides using the good old Acrobat.

imac/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Funny that you mentioned that. I do that all the time but I never tried to hide it though. I usually just go to class so that I know what we're learning about so I can study the right thing. The actual learning part are usually done at home...

Most of the classes I taught were high particiaption classes where one's involvement in discussion had a rather large impact on one's grade. It seems the students just didn't care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.