What App do you use to make an icon? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Nov 21, 2007, 04:57 AM   #1
madmax019
macrumors newbie

What App do you use to make an icon?

i guess my title says it all. i am not a photoshop genius, but i wanna make a nice glossy aqua style icon for my app. what software are you using to make your icon?

hopefully not photoshop - i dont like it :-P

madmax
madmax019 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:16 AM   #2
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

Photoshop is the main app used. You could try GIMP which is similar to Photoshop but open source.
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 01:31 PM   #3
Gelfin
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax019 View Post
hopefully not photoshop - i dont like it :-P
Hate to break this to you, but unless there's something very specific about Photoshop you don't like ("the price" is a popular answer) you're going to hate pretty much any application able to turn out reasonably professional work. PS is the standard, so most everything else can be categorized as "Photoshop, but with..."

e.g.
Painter: Photoshop, but with better brushes and tablet support (and horrible memory management).

GIMP: Photoshop, but with that "I had to learn to do something special to get it to run on my system" open source street cred.

Pixelmator: Photoshop, but with HUD style windows, a lower price point, and an immature code base with a few counterintuitive interface choices.

Not to suggest any of these aren't fine choices depending on your particular circumstances. Just that if you generally hate Photoshop, you really need to be considering farming out your graphics work to somebody who doesn't, because you'll be hard pressed to get out of its shadow.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 01:56 PM   #4
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

I actually use, of all things, MS Paint in Windows XP to make icons. It may be incredibly simple, but it works for my needs.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 02:12 PM   #5
Aquis
macrumors member

Send a message via ICQ to Aquis Send a message via AIM to Aquis Send a message via MSN to Aquis Send a message via Yahoo to Aquis Send a message via Skype™ to Aquis
If you want to take a different approach to designing icons, you could use Cheetah3D to make the icons - but Photoshop really is the way to go with 2D image editing...
Old Nov 21, 2007, 11:53 PM   #6
satyam90
macrumors regular

Send a message via Yahoo to satyam90
Best place is to go and search the net for images and then modifythem accordingly. Go to icon composer on Mac and convert them to icons.
satyam90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 01:10 AM   #7
madmax019
macrumors newbie

i guess i have to use photoshop then :-(

i do have it but it is just that you need to learn to use photoshop before you can actually do anything! thats just not my style :-D

thanks

max
madmax019 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming