Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 21, 2007, 11:23 AM   #1
maximus06
macrumors regular

add applications to startup folder?

How do you make applications run automatically at startup? I think it has something to do with the startup folder, but dragging apps in there only moves them there.

Is there something like in windows where you can put a shortcut to the app in there?
maximus06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 11:37 AM   #2
Peace
macrumors P6

System Preferences>User Accounts>Log-In Items
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 11:39 AM   #3
ryanmcd02
macrumors member

I think this it what you are looking for:

Go to System Preferences: Accounts: Start up items. You should be able to add programs to that list specific for each account.
ryanmcd02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 11:43 AM   #4
maximus06
macrumors regular

Thank you
maximus06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 11:45 AM   #5
ab2650
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus06 View Post
Thank you
Don't forget you can add applescript and automator actions there too; Helpful if you do a certain 'routine' every time you start up.
ab2650 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2014, 07:19 AM   #6
dfmac
macrumors newbie

Misdirection?

Just bought my Maverick os v.10.9.4 and many Manuals and Googled instructions leave me puzzled.
It may be because I have just switched over from Microsoft, but I used MACs continuously from1983 t0 1996 so I understand the Apple mind. However I must admit, things are still a struggle at the moment.
I too, was struggling withe the instruction to drag an app into something called an accounts section of the Apple preferences folder. What I got from that folder was a Window full of Icons, none of which specifically referred to something just labelled, Accounts, But I did seed 'User and Groups'.
You have to open that to get to another window and another choice in its toolbar.
Then you see a window with options for passwords and log in items which is where I found what I wanted.
SO....the proper answer at the beginning of this question should be:-
a) What is your System Version
b) Choose system !0.9.4 or whatever? Then:-
c) Apple Icon/System Preferences/Users & Groups/Log in Items
d)Drag Application Icon into the fame and check that it is added to the list.

I know that this is very fussy to all competent users but us beginners need that sort of detail. We are all idiots at this stage.

I used to describe Microsoft as an endless game of trivial pursuit with Bill Gates and, at the moment Apple has the same problems.
But it is a lovely machine.
dfmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:08 PM   #7
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcd02 View Post
I think this it what you are looking for:

Go to System Preferences: Accounts: Start up items. You should be able to add programs to that list specific for each account.

For any novice user who happens to open this thread, click on the + button and then pick the App you want to add. (- removed the highlighted one, of course)
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2014, 04:54 PM   #8
madeirabhoy
macrumors 6502

if its in your dock you can also hold down the mouse on it then select 'options' 'open at login'
madeirabhoy is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help