Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 21, 2007, 11:30 AM   #1
apb3
macrumors regular

Any way to "rebuild" the itunes music library.xml file??

Hey... Somehow the above file (and maybe the Itunes Music Library file as well) got corrupted. I get a message that the .xml file isn't a proper file or something to that effect, when iTunes starts and then it proceeds to try to "update" the Itunes Music Library file and saves the old one with a different name.

Only problem is that when it does this, I lose 3/4 of my music and all of the formatting (like "Purchased" and other manual playlists).

Has this happened to you? Any suggestions. I know I could just re-add all the files (all the songs./movies/etc are still on my external drive) but I'll lose the files' data and, as mentioned, the playlists/Purchased/Movie/etc info...

Any and all assistance is appreciated
apb3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 11:31 AM   #2
netdog
macrumors 603

Clear the library (but don't erase the files) and then just drop all the files onto the library and they will re-import. You won't lose the data. Not sure about the playlists.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 12:27 PM   #3
apb3
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdog View Post
Clear the library (but don't erase the files) and then just drop all the files onto the library and they will re-import. You won't lose the data. Not sure about the playlists.
Thanks but that's what I was talking about at the end of my post. I know I can re-import everything, I was just wondering if anyone knows of a way to, basically, "rebuild" the original "bad" Library file (I saved it just in case) so I don't lose all the files' data, playlists, categories, etc...

Thanks anyway.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 12:42 PM   #4
Mindflux
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by apb3 View Post
Thanks but that's what I was talking about at the end of my post. I know I can re-import everything, I was just wondering if anyone knows of a way to, basically, "rebuild" the original "bad" Library file (I saved it just in case) so I don't lose all the files' data, playlists, categories, etc...

Thanks anyway.
I think if you option-click your iTunes icon (or cmd-option click maybe) it should come up and ask you if you want to rebuild the library...

this is starting with iTunes closed out completely.
Mindflux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 12:45 PM   #5
apb3
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
I think if you option-click your iTunes icon (or cmd-option click maybe) it should come up and ask you if you want to rebuild the library...

this is starting with iTunes closed out completely.
Thanks for the suggestion but no joy.....

edit:

to be more precise, tried all key-combos and clicking on itunes icon and all it did was launch itunes.

Last edited by apb3; Nov 21, 2007 at 12:48 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Nov 21, 2007, 02:27 PM   #6
cptpower
macrumors regular

are you able to open the xml file using textedit?
Old Nov 21, 2007, 03:34 PM   #7
apb3
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptpower View Post
are you able to open the xml file using textedit?
Yes. I was looking at this the last few days and there seems to be data corruption of some strings. NOt sure what it is supposed to be though and it looks to be extensive without some automated way of either picking out the "bad" data (and thus losing only the data for those files) or rebuilding the file completely. That sounds like wishful thinking though at this point.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 03:41 PM   #8
cohibadad
macrumors 6502a

just pull a valid version off Time Machine. Or have you tried this? http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93313
cohibadad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 07:27 PM   #9
apb3
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohibadad View Post
just pull a valid version off Time Machine. Or have you tried this? http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93313
Don't have a recent backup (1 month or so... which is what I'm going to have to use and then just re-add the stuff added in the interim - was trying to find an easy fix). And that apple doc would help if the xml file wasn't corrupt. Which brings me back to the original question

Oh well, guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and lose some data and manually re-add it.

It's just strange what itunes chooses to pull in when I tried to add my old music library back in en masse. It selectively skips stuff.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store