Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maximus06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Uhm, this is really annoying me, when I fill out forms in the browser and I think in osx in general, TAB doesn't bring me to the next field.

Also in TextEdit, tab does not tab-in the text. Is there a different button for mac?

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Uhm, this is really annoying me, when I fill out forms in the browser and I think in osx in general, TAB doesn't bring me to the next field.

Also in TextEdit, tab does not tab-in the text. Is there a different button for mac?

tab works fine for me in forms, and Text Edit. I don't know why it wouldn't work for you.

sinistersai4d

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2007
Albany, NY
So you're saying the tab button doesn't indent OR switch text box fields?

To answer you question.. NO there isn't a different button for macs.. tab should be working just as it would on a PC.

So.. to see if the tab button is functional at all I recommend hitting

Command + Tab..
when you do so this should come up..

Command_Tab.jpg

if it doesn't than your tab key isn't working.. try rebooting... also try shift+tab and see if it will tab in reverse.

(btw command = the button by the space bar with an apple and a clover on it)

maximus06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Command + TAB works, but just tab to indent or switch textboxes does not. Odd eh?

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
To get tab to go to all fields in web browsers, go to Preferences/Keyboard and Mouse/Keyboard Shortcuts and select the "Full keyboard access:" .. All Controls option. No, I don't know why that's not the default.

I don't know why you don't have Tabs in TextEdit. I do.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
To get tab to go to all fields in web browsers, go to Preferences/Keyboard and Mouse/Keyboard Shortcuts and select the "Full keyboard access:" .. All Controls option. No, I don't know why that's not the default.

I don't know why you don't have Tabs in TextEdit. I do.

You shouldn't have to do that to get it to work with fields in a web browser. Mine isn't set that way and it still works

maximus06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
ROFL - you know what, I used TAB as the text-to-speech key. LOL I set it to that, not knowing it would remove the normal tab function. Haha, problem solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.