Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freakydisco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Okay, so, I've had a perfect success rate converting avi to mp4 using the MP4 Video Converter I bought, but it seems that any DVDs I rip to MP4 (with a ripping program by the same company) will import into iTunes, but then won't show up on Apple TV. I'm set up to stream, not to sync, so I tried syncing instead. iTunes completely ignores the two movies I ripped and copies the others, claiming it's doing 13 out of 13 files, when in fact there are 15.

I'm not sure what's wrong. I'm converting into the exact same file type I use when I go from avi to MP4. I even tried ripping to avi first, then converting to MP4. Still, the files import and play in iTunes, but don't appear on the Apple TV. Any suggestions??

mrfrosty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Okay, so, I've had a perfect success rate converting avi to mp4 using the MP4 Video Converter I bought, but it seems that any DVDs I rip to MP4 (with a ripping program by the same company) will import into iTunes, but then won't show up on Apple TV. I'm set up to stream, not to sync, so I tried syncing instead. iTunes completely ignores the two movies I ripped and copies the others, claiming it's doing 13 out of 13 files, when in fact there are 15.

I'm not sure what's wrong. I'm converting into the exact same file type I use when I go from avi to MP4. I even tried ripping to avi first, then converting to MP4. Still, the files import and play in iTunes, but don't appear on the Apple TV. Any suggestions??

If you converted them to something outside the spec. of the ATV they will be ignored. 4Gb file size limit applies in that too (as i found out ripping LOTR at super duper high quality). I hope you are using either VisualHub or Handbrake to convert them. Handbrake is free.

freakydisco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Actually, I use this product http://www.mp4converter.net/dvd-to-mp4-converter-mac.html

For avi, I use the MP4 converter by the same company. The files DO run in Quicktime, and I've tried using the built-in converter for other files, but always found the quality to be choppy and generally splotchier, no matter how I played with the settings. I'll try it again, though. That's a good idea.

It just made no sense. The files were all under a gig. They're all mp4, just like the TV episodes that worked just fine when I converted them - and it's my understanding that mp4 is recognized by the Apple TV. I have hundreds of TV shows on it, and they're all in MP4. Weirdness.

I have handbrake. I guess I should have used it, but I completely forgot to try now that I've had more experience with the Apple TV. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try em out and see what happens.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Actually, I use this product http://www.mp4converter.net/dvd-to-mp4-converter-mac.html

For avi, I use the MP4 converter by the same company. The files DO run in Quicktime, and I've tried using the built-in converter for other files, but always found the quality to be choppy and generally splotchier, no matter how I played with the settings.

You're saying they're choppy on Quicktime on your computer, as well as on the ATV?

It just made no sense. The files were all under a gig. They're all mp4, just like the TV episodes that worked just fine when I converted them - and it's my understanding that mp4 is recognized by the Apple TV.

Not all MPEG4 encoding schemes are the same. If you can, you should always encode in H.264 for the ATV (MPEG4 Part 10).

I have handbrake. I guess I should have used it, but I completely forgot to try now that I've had more experience with the Apple TV. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try em out and see what happens.

Handbrake will only do VOB files; it cannot convert AVI to H.264.

freakydisco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
You're saying they're choppy on Quicktime on your computer, as well as on the ATV?

Yeah, on both. Okay, basically, I convert all these avi files I've got (with "MP4 CONVERTER") and they work beautifully. Any DVDs I rip (with "DVD TO MP4 CONVERTER") don't show up. But if it's the encoding, I'll definitely try the h.264 idea. I tried it before and the converter didn't progress past 0%. I even tried ripping to MP4 with the "DVD TO MP4 CONVERTER" then converted it from MP4 to MP4 (again) using the "MP4 CONVERTER" that I KNOW works, just in case it was encoding things differently with one program than the other. Does that make sense?? Still nada.

I'll try handbrake instead.

freakydisco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Hmmm... I think I know what the issue is. Let me know what you think.
According to the tech specs, these are compatible video files:

"MPEG-4: Up to 3 Mbps, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 720 by 432 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats"

It just so happens that my file is 720x480 with a frame rate of 29.97. Does that make sense now??

freakydisco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Wow... problem solved. That was the issue the whole time. Thanks for the help, everyone.

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
for DVDs I'd recommend ripping with your favorite ripper (MacTheRipper is my favorite) and encoding with Handbrake using the AppleTV preset. It will automatically make the output compatible. H264 quality is great and file sizes are relatively small. Whenever ATV ignores a video it is usually due to specs like you found.

HuggerMugger

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2009
I am having trouble getting my TV Shows to show up on my AppleTV. They show up and drop right into iTunes, and I've used MetaX to set all the metadata correctly. However, they don't make it to the AppleTV. I've already tried hard resetting the AppleTV, as well as iTunes, as well as unlinking and relinking the itunes library to the AppleTV.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot?

Here is the info from the quicktime movie inspector and the finder info;

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-11-12 at 9.46.13 AM.png
    Screen shot 2009-11-12 at 9.46.13 AM.png
    72.7 KB · Views: 12,116
  • Screen shot 2009-11-12 at 9.49.58 AM.png
    Screen shot 2009-11-12 at 9.49.58 AM.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 12,098

HuggerMugger

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2009
Handbrake Version; 0.9.3

Here is the bitrate info;

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-11-12 at 12.07.23 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-11-12 at 12.07.23 PM.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 12,002

mrmule

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2011
encoding with Handbrake using the AppleTV preset. It will automatically make the output compatible.

Please help if possible. I have similar symptoms to the thread starter. Apple techs said to use the Apple TV preset on Handbrake, but I cannot find it anywhere! I gathered it was in the far right toggle presets, but alas no :(

Any help much appreciated...

Samuel.

sanakhan01

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2011
I keep putting movies on the Apple TV. I sync the movies to the Apple TV then remove them from computer because of room issue, when I go to watch movies on the Apple TV they are gone. Is there a way to get movies on the Apple TV without the movies having to stay on the computer. I have to use an external back up for all my movies. Also is there a way to transfer the movies to the Apple TV from my external storage?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.