Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flipshot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Hertfordshire, UK
Hi

One of my lecturers has put some lecture notes up on the internet as a .prn file. It said to search google for a program called ghostview which I did an I found a link to ghostview for mac. I downloaded it but it won't let me install it, it just has a grey X over it. I'm guessing this is meant for an older version of mac.

I read on a site that dragging it to the printer queue will let me print it but all that happens is a blank TextMate window opens up. Does anyone know how I can print this file, like a newer version of ghostview or another program.

I'm using Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)

Thanks
Craig

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Your lecturer should be flogged with a wet noodle to within an inch of his life. .prn files are an artifact of MS-DOS. Everyone that I have seen is a plain text file. Open the file with Text Edit or some other text editor. You may find it convenient to change the extension to .txt. Examine the contents to be sure that its contents are indeed plain text. If the files are gibberish, then very politely ask your lecturer for a .doc or .pdf version of his notes. Then go to the supermarket and buy a bag of pasta, bring it home, and start boiling water.

micsaund

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2004
Colorado, USA
I agree that the professor is a dillweed for posting a prn file instead of pdf or something more universally understood.

I'm guessing that the ".prn" files he's created are actually PostScript since he's wanted you to use Ghostview to view them. You can verify this by opening them in TextEdit and looking for ASCII text and somewhere near the top, you'll see the phrase "postscript" (unsure of the exact case).

If so, check this post and be sure to read the comments for more info. It should be pretty easy to get the PS into a PDF.

I've used ps2pdf in the past, but you need fink installed to do that.

EDIT: Try "pstopdf" from the commandline on OS X -- it's installed by default. It sounds like it's not flawless for some of the advanced PS rendering, but may work just fine for your doc.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.