Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Nov 22, 2007, 09:33 PM   #1
AppleCrisp
macrumors member

Parental Control Problems

Hi, I just recently enabled Parental Controls on my admin account just to see how it works and stuff, and to cut to the chase, I tried to disable it and now it is blocking random pages for no reason, and no matter how many times I hit add website to the allow list, it keeps on happening. To make matters worse, in the parental controls pane it says there are no accounts being managed and that I am not using parental controls. Meanwhile, the parental controls are still blocking sites. I'm really confused, some help would be greatly appreciated!
AppleCrisp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 10:49 PM   #2
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

OS X shouldn't allow you to enable Parental Controls on an admin account. Are you sure that's what you did?
Old Nov 23, 2007, 05:09 PM   #3
AppleCrisp
macrumors member

Ya the box is unchecked now but the problem is that my computer still thinks that it has parental controls, limiting access to seemingly random pages, even certain topics on this forum!
Old Nov 23, 2007, 05:21 PM   #4
Macintosh001
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleCrisp View Post
Ya the box is unchecked now but the problem is that my computer still thinks that it has parental controls, limiting access to seemingly random pages, even certain topics on this forum!
I agree with the other person that has posted...The computer doesn't let you enable the parental control for an admin account...Maybe the parental control is not the problem..or there is another admin account possibly?...or the problem can be with safari ...because you have enable it to only admit cookies from pages you have visited before..that would make sense...Hope something of these helps you
Macintosh001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 05:27 PM   #5
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, but honestly have no idea how to fix it.

My only point was that there should have been no way you could have enabled Parental Controls on the first place...you can't even see a box to check. All you should get when you go to the "Parental Controls" pane in the admin account is something like "You can not turn on parental controls for an administrator user or network account."
Old Nov 23, 2007, 05:31 PM   #6
cohibadad
macrumors 6502a

if Parental Controls (PC) wasn't so borked I'd doubt the OP story. You can enable PC on an Admin account. It did make me chuckle a little thinking about you enabling PC on yourself. Would be funny to set bedtimes or a 1 minute daily limit. My suggestion is to make another Admin account and see if problem persists. From that account you can enable and then disable PC on the original account. I have seen some changes not stick when using PC so keep trying. Have you updated to 10.5.1? It fixed some of my problems with PC.
cohibadad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 06:21 PM   #7
AppleCrisp
macrumors member

Well in order to enable the parental control I first created another admin account and then made my admin account have parental controls, so it appeared as Admin, Managed. Then I disabled parental controls and deleted the other account. So now it just says Admin. But the problem is it is now blocking random pages and a parental control dialog is taking over Safari saying you need to add this to your allowed list and no amount of adding it changes anything. Also, there is no way to disable it as parental controls thinks it isn't managing any accounts. And yes, i updated to 10.5.1.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 06:53 PM   #8
cohibadad
macrumors 6502a

but have you created an admin account, re-enabled then disabled parental controls? and did you originally disable before or after 10.5.1?
cohibadad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 08:23 PM   #9
AppleCrisp
macrumors member

This has all happened after the update.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 09:39 AM   #10
Macintosh001
macrumors member

Well maybe you can try creating a new admin account and disabling it...but I don't know I see this all too complicated..Have you tried going to Safari to preferences ,there to security and then saying to accept all cookies???
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:01 AM   #11
AppleCrisp
macrumors member

Wow, that worked! Thanks so much! I wonder why not accepting all cookies was making parental controls ban stuff? Thanks a lot though that solved my problem.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:38 AM   #12
Macintosh001
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleCrisp View Post
Wow, that worked! Thanks so much! I wonder why not accepting all cookies was making parental controls ban stuff? Thanks a lot though that solved my problem.
I'm very glad that my suggestion has helped you!
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:40 PM   #13
Shotglass
macrumors 65816

I got the German version, too, and enabled PC just for fun. Now internet only works through cable and PC blocks random sites. Airport simply won't work. Could these two problems be related? Also, please explain how to fix PC again, I didn't get it from the post before.

And yes, I have updated to 10.5.1.
Shotglass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 07:28 AM   #14
Macintosh001
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotglass View Post
I got the German version, too, and enabled PC just for fun. Now internet only works through cable and PC blocks random sites. Airport simply won't work. Could these two problems be related? Also, please explain how to fix PC again, I didn't get it from the post before.

And yes, I have updated to 10.5.1.
Looks like PC has come to your Mac to bother...Well I don't think it is related because AppleCrisp was having problems after enabling parental control with Safari and the problem was that the computer wasn't accepting the cookies.It was fixed going to Safari to preferences then clicking to security and then clicking to accept all cookies.Have you tried disabling PC?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:16 PM   #15
aquaregia
macrumors newbie

Same Problem w/Parental Controls: Admin Account Question

I put parental controls on our admin account by accident (thought it was my son's). I saw in the thread it was suggested to start a new Admin Account to change the parental controls back to 'disabled' on the original AA.

The problem I have is that the computer now doesn't recognize the password from the original Admin account. When I clicked 'parental controls managed' it unchecked 'Allow this user to administer this computer'. How am I supposed to start a new Admin Account when there is no password that lets me make those changes? AHHhhgg!

Using Version 10.6.8
aquaregia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:30 PM   #16
Itv
macrumors newbie

same thing happened to me.
I did not know about a second admin account and was just experimenting with Parental Control. All of a sudden I am locked out and can not change a thing. I get tones of pop-ups with websites to block but can't do anything to manage it.
How do I go back??
I can restart my computer with my administrator password but can't do anything else.
?? Please help.
Itv is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X