Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

directorscut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
So, I have a computer that I could NEVER part with:

050802iMac00.jpg

My Lime iMac G3 333 with 6g hard drive and 288mb of memory, Mac OS 9 and well, that's about it. I'd use this computer for everyday fun if it had a browser that worked. Most websites won't work with Internet Explorer 5.1 (too old). I've looked into open source browsers but they don't support the dated OS. Since (as far as I know) the ancient hardware cannot be upgraded to OS X, I cannot upgrade the browser for it and I have no clue if Linux would even work on this system. I'm not sure how to make this Mac useful again. Most would throw it on the streets, but I'm other than the fact that I've become attached to it, I'm too tree-hugger to toss it.

Also, if anyone has an idea on what to do, since it's not wireless and has usb 1.0 and Ethernet, is there some sort of bridge I can purchase (I'm not sure what I'm talking about) to make it wireless? I don't know if anything is compatible these days, but I'm willing to purchase something older.

Well, the only reason I'm asking these questions is because I'm tired of seeing it in the closet. It would be cool to see Linux on it, but I don't know where to start. ¿What to do with my Bulbous-Lime Green-40lb-Lead-Filled-Plastic Jewel?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
If you want it functioning as a Mac, it should be able to run any flavor of OS X up to 10.3. The 6 GB hard drive is a limiting factor though, so it would have to be an awfully stripped down installation.

You can bump the RAM as well to improve performance...some machines of that model maxed out at 384 MB, while others could go to 512 MB.

nakile

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Upgrade the RAM to 512MB (maximum for this system) and put in a bigger HDD. You should be able to run OS X 10.3 and if you do a little bit of XPostFacto, OS X 10.4.

directorscut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
iUbuntu?

Ubuntu it. Every bit of hardware in there will work from the install disk.

Could you/Would you point me to a website that will help me figure out how to install Ubuntu on a Mac? When I goto http://www.ubuntu.com I do not see information about Mac hardware. Mac OS X is great, but it would be like putting Windows Vista on a Pentium 2 machine. I have NO experience with Linux, so reading complicated forums and hacking things to make them work are going to cause too much frustration.

DamoRed

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2006
I know how you feel. My Lime iMac is also in limbo. It's currently acting as a back-up to an eMac 700Mhz at he moment. But hopefully I'll be soon getting a white 20" iMac, at which point the eMac will be back-up. That then makes space a problem, as there is only room for two. So I have no idea where I'm going to be able to put the Lime iMac.

As things developed, I updated it as much as I could. It is a slot load model, and a 10Gb HD, so that's a slight advantage, but not much. I loaded Tiger on there and it has run very well, apart from being slow at start up. I've had to use it with Photoshop an Mail on a regular basis, after a compatibility problem arose with sending stuff from the eMac to a paper I freelance for. Their problem, as they were still running OS9. So although it's now 8 years old, it's still working great. How many windows users can say that about their 8 year old PCs?

Damo

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Could you/Would you point me to a website that will help me figure out how to install Ubuntu on a Mac? When I goto http://www.ubuntu.com I do not see information about Mac hardware. Mac OS X is great, but it would be like putting Windows Vista on a Pentium 2 machine. I have NO experience with Linux, so reading complicated forums and hacking things to make them work are going to cause too much frustration.

Those computers run OS X fine just get an older version and upgrade the ram.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
On a model that old hacking things probably won't be necessary. Just add a couple of extra repositories to the sources list, and the rest is browse and click to install.

Check out the PowerPC section on the Ubuntu forums for more info.

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Although Ubuntu is a very good choice they have stopped developing the PPC line of code compatible with your mac. The older stuff still works but you won't be guarenteed the latest, gratest and most secure software.

May I suggest Yellow Dog Linux, a distrobution specifically taylored to PPC machines with particular attention to Macs. You may have to hunt for the download link, I couldn't find it with the quick look I gave the home page.

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Those computers run OS X fine just get an older version and upgrade the ram.

Seconded. I have a bondi blue just like it, with 512 MB RAM and 10.3 running just fine. It's good for email, web browsing, and light photo and music work. Anything graphical with it runs very very slow, though - something to do with an incompatibility between the graphics card and OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.