Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Sep 22, 2003, 12:16 PM   #1
Datazoid
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to Datazoid Send a message via AIM to Datazoid Send a message via Yahoo to Datazoid
Thumbs down Samsung ML-1750 (Laser Printer)

This printer is a sibling of the well-discussed ML-1710, the main difference being 1200x600dpi vs 600x600. I found a pretty good deal at CompUSA ($100 rebate + $25 instant) and purchased it over the weekend. While it is nice (very clear text) and fast, I have one major issue with it: NO 1200x600 dpi printing! Apparently (from screenshots contained deep within the users manual on the provided CD (no printed users manual) this is only available from the Windows driver; all other OS's get stuck with 600x600 (thus negating my main reason for getting it; yes, it has USB 2, which does me no good on my iMac). This is disclosed nowhere in the product packaging or on their website. Although I am aware that we (as Mac users) generally get less functional drivers than our Windows counterparts, I feel cheated...the packaging leads you to believe that the product is fully compatible with Linux, Mac OS, and Windows. I do not consider this to be the case if they can not even support the minimum advertised feature set for the product.

So as for a review, unless USB 2.0 is really important to you, or you have a PC, save your money and get the ML-1710....you're basically getting the same printer for less money. Which is still a pretty good printer.
Datazoid is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews