Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:01 AM   #1
appletime
macrumors member

MS Excel, Word, Powerpoint and GarageBand missing

Hello,

Something bizarre has happened... my GarageBand, MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint has gone missing from my computer. I can honestly swear that I did not remove or uninstall these applications. What's even odder is that Entourage is still installed and ready to be used?

Please can anyone help? I am very new to the Mac world and have only had my iMac for less than a month. Why have these applications disappeared and how can I retrieve them?

Cheers
appletime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:04 AM   #2
admiraldennis
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to admiraldennis
Are you sure they're completely gone, or just removed from your Dock/Desktop/etc?

Check your Applications folder for a Microsoft Office folder. If you don't find it, perhaps try a search.

If you still do not find them, well... Applications do not simply 'disappear' from a system. Somebody either moved or deleted them.
admiraldennis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:07 AM   #3
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

Have you renamed, deleted or moved anything in your User folder -- like changed the username on the folder?
Old Nov 23, 2007, 12:28 PM   #4
appletime
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiraldennis View Post
Are you sure they're completely gone, or just removed from your Dock/Desktop/etc?

Check your Applications folder for a Microsoft Office folder. If you don't find it, perhaps try a search.

If you still do not find them, well... Applications do not simply 'disappear' from a system. Somebody either moved or deleted them.
I've checked both my Applications folder and my Microsoft Office 2004 folder and they are not there. Only Entourage is left. I have also done a search using Spotlight but to no avail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRAM View Post
Have you renamed, deleted or moved anything in your User folder -- like changed the username on the folder?
No, not at all which is what makes this strange. How can 4 applications disappear without us having to delete them?

Last edited by WildCowboy; Nov 24, 2007 at 04:42 PM. Reason: post merge
Old Nov 23, 2007, 12:35 PM   #5
kflook
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by appletime View Post
No, not at all which is what makes this strange. How can 4 applications disappear without us having to delete them?
Did you do any updates to Office before this happened? I don't know about GarageBand, but I once did a MS Auto Update with iTunes running, and it completely erased MS Word from my system. I had to uninstall & reinstall office to get everything back to where it was supposed to be.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 01:46 PM   #6
appletime
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kflook View Post
Did you do any updates to Office before this happened? I don't know about GarageBand, but I once did a MS Auto Update with iTunes running, and it completely erased MS Word from my system. I had to uninstall & reinstall office to get everything back to where it was supposed to be.
Nope, not that I'm aware of. I haven't done any updates to it.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 04:17 PM   #7
GlennH
macrumors newbie

My Garageband app has also gone missing. I haven't really used it before, but I know it was there when I got my iMac a couple weeks ago (I opened and checked out some of the software).

But now the dock icon just shows a big ? when I try to open it. A search for "garage" only shows the (empty) folder named "Garageband" under Music. The app itself appears to be gone. I have no idea what happened.

Any ideas?
GlennH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 11:51 AM   #8
rutsuko
macrumors newbie

Same here

Microsoft performed an update several weeks ago, and Excel and Powerpoint have vanished. I guess I'll try reinstalling Office. Grr.
rutsuko is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X