Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tyson12zoll

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
I swear that steve advertised the euro prices of the new powerbooks as equal (in most cases) to the USD prices. If you check out the german store (or french one for that matter) the prices are way different from what stevo said.

Whats up with that? Looks like blatant false advertising.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Germany has a difference from 250-500 in the range and France is a little more...don't know why, probably tariffs/taxes for imported electronics.

It ends up being only 16% difference in Germany....and that's if the value of the currencies are the same!

Currently - $1000 will get you 870 Euros......so the actual prices are quite higher. You might want to go and see if you can find that quote anywhere....

In France you'd be buying the top end for an equivalent of $4120!!!!! that's $1120 more than what we pay here, more than 30%. Take a trip to the US on that, get some site seeing in and buy a new laptop :D

D

Lincoln

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2003
UK
I think that the difference is in the countries local sales tax or VAT which varies from country to country.

Most of Europe now has a common currency but we still have variations in our VAT.

tyson12zoll

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
so i guess my question is 'what the heck was steve advertising?'

He went through all the powerbooks IN FRANCE and said somthing to the likes of "the new 15in PB....2599 dollars, or 2599 euros" This was all displayed on the big ass screen behind him too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.