Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Nov 24, 2007, 12:34 PM   #1
jjo
macrumors member

"Connection failed" error when booting Leopard

Lately, my MacBook's been popping-up window after boot that says, "Connection failed. The server may not exist or it is not operational at this time."

I don't know what server my Mac is trying to connect to. How/where can I look to see what's trying to connect, and to shut it off from trying at boot?

Other than this error dialog box, my Mac works fine otherwise.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	92253  
jjo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2007, 12:38 PM   #2
xUKHCx
Administrator emeritus

Check System Preferences - Accounts - Login items

look for an item that has the same icon, e.g. see the picture below

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	57
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	92271
xUKHCx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2007, 03:28 PM   #3
jjo
macrumors member

Thanks, got it.
jjo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:19 AM   #4
tmoss
macrumors newbie

And thankls from me too

Tuck
tmoss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 03:30 AM   #5
djeans
macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same error, but there is nothing in my login items that should be causing that. Any other ideas?

Thanks
djeans is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 03:41 PM   #6
honora
macrumors newbie

I'm having this problem whenever I try to access the help viewer within software. I've checked the login items and there's nothing there. Any other suggestions?
honora is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 02:59 PM   #7
brbell01
macrumors newbie

I get the same problem! I also running Snow Leopard and it seems to have gotten worse with the upgrade! EVERYTHING runs slower because it keeps trying to find this server. This has got to be a bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeans View Post
I'm having the exact same error, but there is nothing in my login items that should be causing that. Any other ideas?

Thanks
brbell01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 09:07 PM   #8
srogers1
macrumors newbie

Find that server

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbell01 View Post
I get the same problem! I also running Snow Leopard and it seems to have gotten worse with the upgrade! EVERYTHING runs slower because it keeps trying to find this server. This has got to be a bug.
I'm getting this after buying a new machine and migrating my account to it. Now it's looking for my old machine - it's not a startup item, or a recent server (though I did connect to it a few times before wiping it). I get the popup 3 times when booting up - then it doesn't seem to affect anything. I'm stumped as to what might be trying to connect.
srogers1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:05 AM   #9
pcs are junk
Banned

i had this pop up all the time on leopard, try go to network preferences, and fiddling around with it, like maybe change the top bar to automatic, or advanced and remove networks that auto-connect, i think i did something in there to stop it, like read the message and try to figure it out, its like a riddle or a puzzle, you'll get it soon.
pcs are junk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:14 PM   #10
SamClark01
macrumors newbie

Problems

Ive got 11 iMac 24's, i am running a back up hard drive through one of the macs which is acting as the server. I get the error message keep poping up when i try and access the alias backup hard drive.
I try and click connect as but it will not allow me to re enter details or anything.
i haven't changed the ip address's of the macs and its weird that like 9 work and then 2 dont. when they have all been set up the same, same operating system (snow leopard).

I have tried to delete, move to the desktop and rename the com.apple.____ whatever files - that didnt work

I have nothing in the login items.

Any ideas
Thanks
Sam!
SamClark01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2012, 01:36 PM   #11
sprale
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamClark01 View Post
Ive got 11 iMac 24's, i am running a back up hard drive through one of the macs which is acting as the server. I get the error message keep poping up when i try and access the alias backup hard drive.
I try and click connect as but it will not allow me to re enter details or anything.
i haven't changed the ip address's of the macs and its weird that like 9 work and then 2 dont. when they have all been set up the same, same operating system (snow leopard).

I have tried to delete, move to the desktop and rename the com.apple.____ whatever files - that didnt work

I have nothing in the login items.

Any ideas
Thanks
Sam!
I would take care to make sure you are deleting the specific plist files you need to and not just dumping them in bulk. Here is the plist you need to delete to clear out the login items (helpful when they don't delete correctly from the Account preferences).
home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginitems.plist

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X