Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

actionslacks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
LA
I have the new 1.25 G4 Powerbook and it does not seem to fully close. It latches, but there is a gap. i ahve already become one with it and I don't want to even exchange it for a new one.

1. Anybody else having a problem?
2. What do you think Apple will do about it if I take it in?

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
same thing on my 12 inch. The screen is even slightly crooked, not very much but a little, and it takes once or twice to get it to close occasionally. Its annoying, but nothing tooooo major.

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
it is the same problem...

only mine has the light spot in addition to the screen being warped and not closing properly. It's like a gap on either side and the screen is kinda loose feeling.

This is not good!:mad:

actionslacks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
LA
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
I have a gap when my iBook's lid is closed, but it's less than a millimeter. Can you tell us how big the gap is?

A mm? i am guessing. I can't measure that small but I bet there are a bunch of us that have this problem.

Anybody think that it is worth the trouble of returning the machine? I just hope it isn't a sign of more thiins to come.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Everything Is Fine

If you watched the stream of the keynote Steve said you don't have to worry anymore about the screen pressing against the keys. So giving a little space between the keys and screen would make sense to solve this issue.

Xero

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2002
Los Angeles
oy! people, this is totally normal, theres SUPPOSED to be a gap. dont get your shorts all in a twist. this is so the keys dont touch the screen... its made to have a gap and its there for a reason.

i think its hilarious how, when a new updated machine like a laptop comes out, a bunch of "newbies" come on to this board with the weirdest "concerns", like "uh oh my track pad button makes a 'click'ing noise. maybe i should return it!". c'mon kids, just because the machine doesnt act EXACTLY the way you thought it would, doesnt mean you should immediately return the mahcine!

sorry if that sounds harsh, but seriously, all it takes is a little common sense. :rolleyes:

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
On a totaly unrelated note, my iBook that was purchased recently has a simular problem. Just make sure nothing squishes it so the keyboard doesnt scratch the screen.

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I love the way some people are condescending and act like they know .....

what someone else's problem is! This is NOT the gap to keep the screen from hitting the keys... if it were it would be horrible engineering! The screen claps it is so far apart from the body, which actually make the keyboard come into harder contact than it would with no gap at all. It also wobbles and unlatches. Mine also has some type of lcd defect on the screen that resembles a light smudge. "newbies" ??? bite your tongue, I've been using macs since the apple II and I am very active on these forums. No such thing as naive to the Mac here. I also just sold my Ti 1ghz to get this Al book so i am very familiar with the laptop problems.

don't judge so harshly those things you don't experience first hand.

technocoy

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Re: I love the way some people are condescending and act like they know .....

edit: post taken the wrong way.

microrario

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2003
Wow...Why do you guys care so fricking much? And don't tell me it's because you spent $2,000 on a computer, it should be perfect. Everything has a slight manufacturing defect in one way or another. Just deal with it, its not like your powerbook is adversely affected by it. When I get my 1.25 GHz, you won't hear me bitching about it.

actionslacks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
LA
Originally posted by Xero
oy! people, this is totally normal, theres SUPPOSED to be a gap. dont get your shorts all in a twist. this is so the keys dont touch the screen... its made to have a gap and its there for a reason.

i think its hilarious how, when a new updated machine like a laptop comes out, a bunch of "newbies" come on to this board with the weirdest "concerns", like "uh oh my track pad button makes a 'click'ing noise. maybe i should return it!". c'mon kids, just because the machine doesnt act EXACTLY the way you thought it would, doesnt mean you should immediately return the mahcine!

sorry if that sounds harsh, but seriously, all it takes is a little common sense. :rolleyes:

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but you son't know what you are talking about.

1. The gap that exists is larger than that which has been designed to accomodate the screen so that it does not touch the keys.

2. The latch problems have been discussed in multiple forums here and on Apple Insider. It is being addressed by Apple.

3. There IS something to be said for spending $2500 on a product that you know will last. It SHOULD be perfect from the beginning. People buy Apple computers because of the way they are designed.

4. Assuming someone is a "newbie" (by the way, that is that lamest term in interenet vocabulary as well as a sign of elitist BS ) just becausee they have a low post count or are buying their first Powerbook, is frankly laughable.

Grow up and son't post unless you have something of worth to add to the discussion.

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
ummm...

ok some choose not to care, but i work hard for the money i spend and it wasn't 2,000 it was 3,000 and no it doesn't have to be perfect, but i shouldn't have a freaking white halo on my screen along with a clapping lid... I don't need any applause from my powerbook just quiet companionship. I also go through this everytime with apple, and while i love them and continue to support them even though they keep trying to screw me, that does not make it ok to get an subrate product. I don't know how much money you or your parents make, but i don't make that much so when i spend it, it's important to me what quality of product i'm getting, especially when it's from a company that I'm practically an evangelist for! If all my friends and family see me getting crapped on by my favorite company, then it doesn't help me convince them to buy from that same one!

It F*&%$ kills me when people say crap like "don't say it's because you spent 2,000 dollars on it" IT IS BECAUSE I SPENT 3000 FREAKIN' DOLLARS ON IT.

This computer makes my money, i have to work on it day in and day out, and MY eyes have to look at the big white dot in the middle of it and MY hands have to feel the screen shifting back and forth as i carry it.

Have some compassion for others, just because your life may be peachy, doesn't mean everyones is. Don't be a naysayer.
I hope your powerbook is great, I have loved all three of mine to this point, but this one just isn't quite right. Good luck with yours and I wish none of the problems we are exeriencing on you or yours....

sincerely,
Technocoy

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
Oh, about that smudge, take it to an Apple Genius and he'll ship it to Apple to be fixed. My TiBook had a "smudge" and it got repair under AppleCare. If you don't have an AppleGenius to back you on your story. Good luck! They didn't believe me until they called the AppleGenius I saw. Would've costed me $1200.

(this "smudge" is actually manufacturing glue used in the lcds)

microrario

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2003
Re: ummm...

Originally posted by technocoy
I don't need any applause from my powerbook just quiet companionship.

MY hands have to feel the screen shifting back and forth as i carry it.

What do you push it closed repeatedly once it is already latched? It makes me wonder how smart you are if you buy a $3,000 laptop and don't buy a case for it.

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
well... since we're going to lower ourselves to childhood attack status.

Nah...

I have two cases and a sleeve for it as well as a screen protector. But it i'm using it and moving from one room to the other , or if I'm on location and need to close it and walk with the client somewhere, It isn't very effecient to put it back in the case every single second. I'm OCD (papers to prove it) and even i am not so CARELESS and STUPID that my powerbook should have to have a bullet proof vest at all times.

man, all the off-topic, nothing to do with the problem posts are really bothersome.

The point is I, and others have paid 3,000 dollars of OUR money for a HIGH-END laptop, and having had EXPERIENCE with other laptops from apple, recognize that something is not right, and as a consumer who fully supports this company and it's HIGH-END products, we should recieve a quality product.

Nothing special, no whining, people just want to make sure they aren't crazy and that the problem is legit, so that they may have a better chance at getting it corrected.

No need to make snide, personal attacks or remarks about others.

These are discussion forums.

one thing discussion forums are good for are DISCUSSING problems. That way you have a better idea how to rectify them.

I don't need to explain myself, my powerbook accessories, or powerbook handling. I guess if you bought a 3,ooo dollar plasma and it had a defect in it, you should put it in a case so that you don't damage it or look at the screen.

Did that make sense or get us anywhere with helping anyone on this forum...Nope

NEITHER DID YOUR POST.

if you don't have a powerbook with this problem, or if you problem makes you happy and isn't bothersome to you, thenyou don't have to read our discussion.

Thank you,
and thank you to those who have tried to remedy our situation without being mean and unproductive to people you don't even know, nor walk in their shoes.

just for public knowledge, i called apple care, and the guys said that there should be a gap, but that the nubs on the inside corners of the screen should make contact with the body of the powerbook. NOT seesaw about 1/8in as mine does.

NOR should it have a big glowing spot on the right center of the screen.

and yes they have had people calling with problems of warped screen and faulty latches. It has yet to be verified, as they have not recieved any of the defective units.

I contributed... hope it helps...

good day,

technocoy

:)

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I should hopefully get my 15" tomorrow and I hope so much that it doesn't have this latch problem. The 12" at the Apple Store had a similar problem and I remember seeing lots of reports on Apple's own support forums back then. I was hoping since this was basically a second rev. edition, it might be fixed. I suppose I'll see tomorrow...

bosongluon

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2003
white spots and latch problem, too

My week old 1.25 15" PB also has the latch problem. More noticable are the 3 white blotches on my screen--one dead center.

I called AppleCare and they told me the spots were not normal and that I should have it repaired, but first to try an exchange at the AppleStore where I bought the machine. I'm just waiting for the store to get some machines in stock. Hopefully they will not give me a hard time. The spots are simply unacceptable.

I had the same problem with my Dell two years back. It started out as four spots and then later you could see what I was told was a 'wire' connecting the spots. Guess they were pressure marks from something pushing on the panel from the other side. Dell did replace the panel.

The latch problem--it closes better now than it did last week. But it still pops open every now.

Hopefully by tomorrow I will have a new machine.

iPC

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2003
East Windsor, CT
My iBook has the same basic problem, but it is uneven! Gap on left side is acceptable (I have iSkin keyboard cover), but the gap on the right side is double that of the left! Is the hinge adjustable in any way that I am unaware of??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.