Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guifa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2002
Auburn, AL
No I’m not going to rant on them in case y’all were expecting such a thread, although the ruckus over that has pretty much passed.

I decided to design a custom application support folder icon, and since it might be of use to others, am posting it here. (not sure if here or the developers’ forum would be the best place).

Best results need a sharp image that looks good in 1-bit. For Hangman, I choose to use a noose that had been part of the original icon and thresholded it until I could see the rope detail without making it too noisy:

The template file is here: http://mateo.elahorcado.net/blogimages/LeopardFolderIconTemplate.zip

Edit: For reference I’ve included my application icon with the folder icon made from it.

Attachments

• HangmanAppSupportFolderIcon.png
    HangmanAppSupportFolderIcon.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 54,831
  • HangmanIcon.png
    HangmanIcon.png
    90.9 KB · Views: 54,394

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
Looks good, thanks for sharing :cool:

I don't know why people are so upset about the redesigned folders in Leopard, I kinda like them myself.

MacBuddySupport

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007
I had the same problem!

same error code. If any one can contact the owner of this and email me back at macbuddy123@gmail.com. Help if I can get this to unzip I will so happy.

If anybody knows the name of this app please send the name. If anybody else has this unzipped please send the app to me.

Thanks,
MacBuddy
:apple:
:confused::rolleyes::confused::confused:

guifa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2002
Auburn, AL
I've reuploaded it so it should work now. It's not an application though, it's just a Photoshop file.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
looks nice!! :p, in the new preview in leopard such things get easier ey..

EDIT:unzipping file does work, in tiger..

MacBuddySupport

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007
How do you apply the folder

I can't apply these icons to any folders. Coverflow and quick look don't like the change. Could some one post a tutorial from the icon design to applying the icons.

thanks
macbuddy
:confused:
:apple:

guifa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2002
Auburn, AL
Thanks man but could you send a picture tutorial of how to do this ?
Thanks
:confused::):confused::confused::apple:
I might make one soon, but a bit busy with work this week, will probably have to wait until the weekend. Although really, it's two steps: use the eraser tool to erase the "Erase the text and put in your own stuff" text, and then switch to the brush tool at 100% opacity and paint. The template works off of the opacity values only, so keep that in mind if you're working with copying and pasting in images into that layer, they need to be masked already.

Once you have it the way you look you can export it as a TIFF and use icnsComposer (in the Developer's Tools) to create the icon file. There are many programs that can then apply these ICNS files to files/folders. I should note that most Apple-supplied icons additionally have a separate 16x16 icon used most often in Open/Save dialogues. This weekend I'll update the template to include this smaller file (all the othes, 32x32, 48x48 and 128x128 appear to be based off of the 512x512 version)

ylegler

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2007
custom application for MacIcons

I decided to design a custom application support folder icon, and since it might be of use to others, am posting it here. (not sure if here or the developers’ forum would be the best place).

The template file is here: http://mateo.elahorcado.net/blogimages/LeopardFolderIconTemplate.zip

Edit: For reference I’ve included my application icon with the folder icon made from it.

There is a very simple and efficient way to design custom Icons, using the default Mac OS leopard icon and adding whatever symbol on top of it.
It is called Folder Icon X and ccan be found here: http://www.naratt.com/info.html
Fast, efficient, looks perfect
yve

guifa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2002
Auburn, AL
There is a very simple and efficient way to design custom Icons, using the default Mac OS leopard icon and adding whatever symbol on top of it.
It is called Folder Icon X and ccan be found here: http://www.naratt.com/info.html
Fast, efficient, looks perfect
yve
While a good program, yes, it lacks in two key areas given the topic of Leopard folder icons:

It simply superimposes icons onto the folder image, which is not how Leopard's folder icons are made. I'm sure it could be updated to basically do what this is template is doing, but then again my template is basically doing what his is doing, minus the actual step of placing the icon on a folder. it also lacks because it does not support 512x512 icons which are the standard size. Perhaps it will be updated, but this template I made is good for people who like a little more hands on control (this is not to say it's the be-all-end-all method)

ylegler

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2007
While a good program, yes, it lacks in two key areas given the topic of Leopard folder icons:

It simply superimposes icons onto the folder image, which is not how Leopard's folder icons are made. I'm sure it could be updated to basically do what this is template is doing, but then again my template is basically doing what his is doing, minus the actual step of placing the icon on a folder. it also lacks because it does not support 512x512 icons which are the standard size. Perhaps it will be updated, but this template I made is good for people who like a little more hands on control (this is not to say it's the be-all-end-all method)

Right! BTW, Natress is planing a Leopard update. How soon? He just said "soon":D...

MacBuddySupport

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007
Thats great

Thats great but, how do I apply the icon to any folder. I have tried to copy and paste it but coverflow and Quick Look both don't like it?

Any ideas?????

:apple::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

ylegler

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2007
Leopard and Incons issue

I have been told that Mac OS 10.5.2 will risolve all these issues, including getting back (or having the option to) to the old hierarchical dock setup, icon view etc. The update is due this coming week.
:confused::D
Yve

compulsiveguile

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2008
OH
You mean after following my tutorial (link above) it wouldn't work?

Murphy, thanks for the tutorial. It was really helpful. Now I'm hoping somebody can help me with an issue regarding this template.

I created a custom folder icon for my Pixelmator projects, applied it to the folder, and all looked to be perfect. However, I later discovered that when I resized the Finder window and the icon grows larger in Coverflow, my icon disappears! :confused: This seems to be the case for all of the icons I created. Is there something I'm missing? Did I do something wrong with the creation? Or is the template I'm using not designed to work this way? I can post pictures or a screencast of my issue if it'd help...

I'm using the template from the 1st post in this thread.

To give you a brief idea of my creation process:
1. Edited template in Pixelmator (added a simple png picture on top of folder).
2. Exported file as PNG
3. Using IconComposer, dragged in PNG, and exported icns file
4. Using IconDroplet, I created a usable icon
5. Went to "Get Info" on both files and pasted new icon

I can't figure this out. Please help!

UMHurricanes34

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Murphy, thanks for the tutorial. It was really helpful. Now I'm hoping somebody can help me with an issue regarding this template.

I created a custom folder icon for my Pixelmator projects, applied it to the folder, and all looked to be perfect. However, I later discovered that when I resized the Finder window and the icon grows larger in Coverflow, my icon disappears! :confused: This seems to be the case for all of the icons I created. Is there something I'm missing? Did I do something wrong with the creation? Or is the template I'm using not designed to work this way? I can post pictures or a screencast of my issue if it'd help...

I'm using the template from the 1st post in this thread.

To give you a brief idea of my creation process:
1. Edited template in Pixelmator (added a simple png picture on top of folder).
2. Exported file as PNG
3. Using IconComposer, dragged in PNG, and exported icns file
4. Using IconDroplet, I created a usable icon
5. Went to "Get Info" on both files and pasted new icon

I can't figure this out. Please help!

Same thing for me, but I'm using the PNG file direct as the icon.

I can't find IconComposer and have no idea how to make an icns file.

I noticed my folder also seems to "float" a bit higher than the standard folders...

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    46 KB · Views: 49,391

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I colored the stacks icons by just copying the icon in Get Info, then opening a new doc in Preview (which automatically opens the icon in several layers), then using the Adjust Color pallet.

It looks cool in the Dock, but it doesn't show up in CoverFlow view, either.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    230.3 KB · Views: 647
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.