Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arcobb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Colorado
Hi Folks!

I have an opportunity to have an iMac purchased for me as a Christmas present. I'm wondering if I should try to see if I can get a raincheck for the revision. I haven't seen to many rumors about upcoming revision ... but I'm curious if there is any rumors as to what the next revision might bring. For example is a better graphics card worth it? (I'm not a big gamer, but from time to time I'll check a title out) What are the odds of a LED backlight or is that still a ways down the road? Bluray anytime soon?

Do I need one today? No ... I have a very capable MBP (Santa Rosa). But a gift is a gift.

Thanks!
Alan

Fletchzky

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2007
I just posted a thread about waiting for Macworld to buy one (1.15.08). There's always a chance Apple can announce a revision.....I'm hoping for a GPU revision.

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
New iMacs just came out. New OS X Leopard just came out. New iLife just came out. This is a unique time to get all 3 in very early stages of their product cycle with one purchase. Don't wait - now is the ideal time to buy. You won't see a triple alignment like this for a long long time.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
an iMac as a gift is amazing. I would get one - of course!

I agree completely. I think it is doubtful that you will see an update in January. Even if you do, it will most likely be just some minor upgrade to the processor speed and HDD size.

Tom J

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
Midwest
New iMacs just came out. New OS X Leopard just came out. New iLife just came out. This is a unique time to get all 3 in very early stages of their product cycle with one purchase. Don't wait - now is the ideal time to buy. You won't see a triple alignment like this for a long long time.

Couldn't have said it better.

And I could add that new versions of iWork and FinalCut Express just came out.

So let's say you wait until January. Invariably, there will a new rumor of a new product or revision in a few months and you'll decide to wait. Rinse and repeat. It's an endless cycle. Buy NOW.

Tom J

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
Midwest
To illustrate my point above, In August 2006 I wanted to buy a new iMac, but wait... Apple may be releasing a new model soon. Since that time here are some of the reasons why I kept waffling on a new purchase.

Sep 01, 2006: 23-inch iMac on September 12th?
Sep 06, 2006: Apple Releases Core 2 Duo iMac, Adds 24 inch iMac
Feb 22, 2007: Full Mac Line To Be Updated In Q2? Black iMac?
Feb 25, 2007: Next Generation Intel Platform (Santa Rosa) Tracking For May
Mar 19, 2007: Next Apple iMacs with "Striking New Industrial Design"?
May 21, 2007: iMac Update Slated For Late June
May 23, 2007: Analyst: MacBook Pro, iMacs at WWDC?
Jun 06, 2007: No iMac Updates at WWDC?
Jun 07, 2007: Brushed Aluminum iMac at WWDC?
Jun 10, 2007: Worldwide Developers Conference 2007 Rumor Roundup
Jun 18, 2007: 20" and 24" iMacs Due Mid-to-Late Summer
Jul 06, 2007: Brushed Aluminum iMacs in August?
Jul 09, 2007: New Apple Keyboard Coming With iMac Refresh
Jul 17, 2007: iMac Revision, iLife, iPods on August 7th?
Jul 31, 2007: Apple Event August 7th
Aug 03, 2007: First Intel Penryn Chips Due in 2007?
Aug 07, 2007: New iMacs Released

Add the Leopard, iLife, iWork and other application rumors and the list gets a lot longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.