Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
all hating aside...

I wouldn't mind having either Entourage or Outlook Express for OS X...

Entourage is much...much more than just a mail program...

and u can do more with Outlook Express than u can with Mail... :rolleyes:

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Great...I can see more of those horrid "lock yourself into our horrible internet service for four years and we'll take $200 off the price of the computer" deals coming our way...:rolleyes:

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Re: all hating aside...

Originally posted by eyelikeart

I'm confused... are you saying you wish Entourage for X were available seperately? (ie, not only as part of Office v. X) otherwise I can't make sense of your statement.

Mail has some neat features, but I like Outlook Express better, as well... still only use Entourage, though.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Entourage

I've been using Mail happily for a while now, but I keep hearing that people recommend Entourage...so, sell me on it. What features/improvements/bugs does it have that Mail doesn't?

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Personally, I've used both Entourage and Mail.. Entourage is bloatware. Too busy, too complicated, too featured. Personally, I don't want a Palm Pilot in my email program.. I just want email.. Just like I don't want an email program in my Browser (hint to Netscape!).. I was much happier when there was Outlook Express.. but there isn't one for X, so I'll stick with Mail unless someone can find me a simpler better working client. Hopefully Apple will improve Mail so that it can do a bit more useful mail-only functions like screening out mail from IP addresses marked by the user to be spam servers etc.. but no contact organizers / calendar / word processor file merge junkware.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by Xapplimatic
Personally, I've used both Entourage and Mail.. Entourage is bloatware. Too busy, too complicated, too featured. Personally, I don't want a Palm Pilot in my email program.. I just want email.. Just like I don't want an email program in my Browser (hint to Netscape!).. I was much happier when there was Outlook Express.. but there isn't one for X, so I'll stick with Mail unless someone can find me a simpler better working client. Hopefully Apple will improve Mail so that it can do a bit more useful mail-only functions like screening out mail from IP addresses marked by the user to be spam servers etc.. but no contact organizers / calendar / word processor file merge junkware.

100% agreed... I had been using eudora just before switching to X, but it had so much junk i couldnt stand it. Mail does just about everything i'd want, and it does it well. manages three accounts for two people very well... And it's nice to be using genuine Apple software whenever i can...

They should buy Omniweb next, clean it up and start pouring in features ;)

pnw

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Re: Re: all hating aside...

Originally posted by IndyGopher

I'm confused... are you saying you wish Entourage for X were available seperately? (ie, not only as part of Office v. X) otherwise I can't make sense of your statement.

Mail has some neat features, but I like Outlook Express better, as well... still only use Entourage, though.

I'm too tired to reply in full tonite...:eek:

I'll get back to u tomorrow...he he he

johnpaul191

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2002
Philadelphia PA
who would want MSN on a Mac?

first off, would anyone with a mac really prefer MSN to somehting else? i think people use AOL just because it's what their friends have or because it's just there. it's the McDonalds of the internet. i hope Macs don't ship with an AOL signup and a MSN signup on the desktop. i really hope we don't see those deals that lock you into MSN for 4 years and you save a few hundred on a computer. i've never considered buying a PC, so i never really paid too much attention to how they word it but i can tell you first hand i have seen many pissed off shoppers that didnt seem to realizee what they were getting into till they were at the register. i've seen it at a few resellers to, so i don't think it was one store being shady about it. here in PA we have a few times a year where PCs are tax free (as weel as an accessories you buy at the same time). i don't know if that inspires a lot of impulse buying (it generally lasts about 7-10 days) but thatt's when i have witnessed a lot of anger from consumers. like i said above, i don't know if these people are uneducated consumers, but it seems to be a common issue where they FEEL decieved and i don't think that will help the Mac platform.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'm going to moving over to OSX as the boot platform once I get PS7. After bringing it up in another thread and reading the posts here, it looks like I'll be using Mail. Anyone got any suggestions?

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
Entourage is pretty usefull

on the other hand, I am looking for a palm pilot in my mail program. It makes it much easier to keep my devices synced up. (addresses, URLs, etc.) The clander is good and fairly intuitive, and the reminder functions are wonderful, popping up wether EX is running or not. My only complaint is that M$ hasn't realeased their own palm sync yet. I have a third party, and it works allright, but it can be pretty buggy.
Mail doeesn't offer me the all in one aspect I'm looking for in a mail client. I hate having to cycle through apps, use menu comands to import and export contacts, and reentering information a thousand times. Give me all in one, its why we love the iMac.
While I hate M$ for the most part, the Mac BU has produced some of the most impressive consumer software around. We can only hope that they will splinter and reform on thier own.:p

delta.hex

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2002
Montreal
Email program

For those who are looking for a nice alternative email program, I would suggest Mailsmith from Barebones software. Version 1.5 now runs on OS X. It is a good email program, les bloated than Entourage while having more features than mail. It even have some email features that entourage does not have, like a very powerful search function.

Personnaly I use Entourage at home because I like the fact of having an organizer and it is easy to link messages with calendar events. But in the lab, where I have a less powerful computer and I want just email, this is what I use.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Re: Email program

Originally posted by delta.hex
Personnaly I use Entourage at home because I like the fact of having an organizer and it is easy to link messages with calendar events. But in the lab, where I have a less powerful computer and I want just email, this is what I use.

thank u...;)

u mapped it out for me before I could...that's why I've liked Entourage (well at least while I had used it in the past)...it does do a lot...and yes it's a bit bloated (as is the entire Office collection)...

but don't get me wrong...I don't even use it presently...but would like an organizer of some sort for my TiBook...to use in X...

I like having an X native mail application...but Mail doesn't do nearly as many things as Entourage does...

I'll definitely check out Mailsmith though...have u had any problems thus far with it?

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Re: all hating aside...

Entourage is available for Mac OS X. But you must purchase it as part of Microsoft Office v. X which has been available since December 2001.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Re: Re: all hating aside...

Originally posted by gopher

Entourage is available for Mac OS X. But you must purchase it as part of Microsoft Office v. X which has been available since December 2001.

exactly...I know this...I just don't have a use for Microsoft Office.... :rolleyes:

esome

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2002
OSX Mail apps...

there's a "software shootout" over at macslash.com with lots of good comments on the subject for those interested.

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
Originally posted by dukestreet
I'm going to moving over to OSX as the boot platform once I get PS7. After bringing it up in another thread and reading the posts here, it looks like I'll be using Mail. Anyone got any suggestions?

I used Eudora on OSX since day one, and I am very happy with it. Sure, there is a bug here and there but nothing major.:p

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Re: Re: Email program

but don't get me wrong...I don't even use it presently...but would like an organizer of some sort for my TiBook...to use in X...

try personal organizer

ive only used entourage for a week (hated it so much i never used it again) so i cant make a fair comparison, but personal organizer works in osx and os9 and provides all the functions people have mentioned the like from entourage plus more also it will synch with your palm pilot (at least it claims it does i dont have a pda so i wouldnt know.) you can download a free demo, and if you like it you will be $60 (or a trip to a certain surfer) away from a great organizer. i used it for a couple months and like it but found i didnt use an organizer enough to justify buying the thing so i havent used it in awhile, but i emailed the developers with feature requests and bugs often and they were very responsive. to me thats a sign of a great app.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
hey, lemon, we have all been wondering where you disappeared to? same with spikey.

someone even started a thread about your whereabouts?;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.