Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Nov 26, 2007, 05:18 AM   #1
sudeepdua
macrumors newbie

Quitting Dock Application

Hi

I have an application for which I have to quit the dock.I know its not advisable to quit the dock as there are other applications running
which are spawned from the dock.This is the reason I want to know what are the applications other than Dashboard which are running with
the parent process as the Dock.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Sudeep Dua
sudeepdua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 05:38 AM   #2
robbieduncan

I think Expose and perhaps Spaces as well. I'd find another way of doing whatever you are doing as the Dock is a core system process.
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:18 AM   #3
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

Yea you don't need to quit the Dock unless you're modifying its plist. You can use SetSystemUIMode() to hide it, and you can use some Carbon functions to disable Export/Spaces features.
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 07:22 AM   #4
sudeepdua
macrumors newbie

yes that is correct , I'm actually adding an application to the dock and for that I'm adding that application to the com.apple.dock.plist . Is there another way I can achieve it.
Thanks in advance

Sudeep
sudeepdua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 08:36 AM   #5
byakuya
macrumors 6502a

well to add an application to the dock a simple drag n drop should be enough...at least that's how I do it.
byakuya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 01:53 PM   #6
SC68Cal
macrumors 68000

I'm sure users will enjoy your application when it kills their dock and forces all their minimized windows back onto their screens. Or that you decide to make the choices for them, by adding your application to their dock.

Locus of control? Not yours buddy.
SC68Cal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 01:59 PM   #7
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC68Cal View Post
I'm sure users will enjoy your application when it kills their dock and forces all their minimized windows back onto their screens. Or that you decide to make the choices for them, by adding your application to their dock.
While I do agree with you, Apple does it with iLife and iWork.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 03:19 PM   #8
SC68Cal
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainjow View Post
While I do agree with you, Apple does it with iLife and iWork.
Not the same thing. Those apps are included in a Dock that is part of the standard user template.

This guy is talking about usurping the user's authority over his/her workspace and deciding that he's going to get comfy in the person's Dock. Totally unacceptable. When you release software, you are a GUEST on the user's computer. You don't go to someone's house and start rearranging the dinner table before you sit down to eat with them. Same idea here.
SC68Cal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 03:43 PM   #9
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC68Cal View Post
Not the same thing. Those apps are included in a Dock that is part of the standard user template.
No I mean Apple's iWork and iLife installers add their apps to the Dock. In my opinion, it is the same thing whether it's Apple or Joe Developer.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 04:43 PM   #10
maxrobertson
macrumors 6502a

I agree with the above posters. Do not do this. Even if Apple does with iWork, it's maddening when someone makes choices for you, and it's even more annoying with OS X because quitting the dock unminimizes all minimized windows, closes Expose, messes with Spaces, temporarily turns off Dashboard, and interrupts the workflow. It's just not the way to do things on the Mac. Let the user decide.
maxrobertson is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming