Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sudeepdua

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Hi

I have an application for which I have to quit the dock.I know its not advisable to quit the dock as there are other applications running
which are spawned from the dock.This is the reason I want to know what are the applications other than Dashboard which are running with
the parent process as the Dock.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Sudeep Dua

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I think Expose and perhaps Spaces as well. I'd find another way of doing whatever you are doing as the Dock is a core system process.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Yea you don't need to quit the Dock unless you're modifying its plist. You can use SetSystemUIMode() to hide it, and you can use some Carbon functions to disable Export/Spaces features.

sudeepdua

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
yes that is correct , I'm actually adding an application to the dock and for that I'm adding that application to the com.apple.dock.plist . Is there another way I can achieve it.
Thanks in advance

Sudeep

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
well to add an application to the dock a simple drag n drop should be enough...at least that's how I do it.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
I'm sure users will enjoy your application when it kills their dock and forces all their minimized windows back onto their screens. Or that you decide to make the choices for them, by adding your application to their dock.

Locus of control? Not yours buddy.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I'm sure users will enjoy your application when it kills their dock and forces all their minimized windows back onto their screens. Or that you decide to make the choices for them, by adding your application to their dock.

While I do agree with you, Apple does it with iLife and iWork.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
While I do agree with you, Apple does it with iLife and iWork.

Not the same thing. Those apps are included in a Dock that is part of the standard user template.

This guy is talking about usurping the user's authority over his/her workspace and deciding that he's going to get comfy in the person's Dock. Totally unacceptable. When you release software, you are a GUEST on the user's computer. You don't go to someone's house and start rearranging the dinner table before you sit down to eat with them. Same idea here.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Not the same thing. Those apps are included in a Dock that is part of the standard user template.

No I mean Apple's iWork and iLife installers add their apps to the Dock. In my opinion, it is the same thing whether it's Apple or Joe Developer.

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
I agree with the above posters. Do not do this. Even if Apple does with iWork, it's maddening when someone makes choices for you, and it's even more annoying with OS X because quitting the dock unminimizes all minimized windows, closes Expose, messes with Spaces, temporarily turns off Dashboard, and interrupts the workflow. It's just not the way to do things on the Mac. Let the user decide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.