Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 26, 2007, 06:42 AM   #1
macfilm
macrumors regular

iPhone "Blocked" Calls

Hi, alot of the time when I get calls it says "Blocked" instead of showing their name etc. Now their in my contacts and have pics of them etc and they phone me on the numbers that are in my contacts yet alot of the time it still says "Blocked"....why is this?

Cheers
macfilm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 06:56 AM   #2
alFR
macrumors 68000

It means they have caller ID sending turned off, or are calling from a system that doesn't support caller ID e.g. a lot of internal telephone exchanges (like the one at my workplace).
alFR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 09:52 AM   #3
ianrandy
macrumors newbie

I was wondering this too, i guess its like my old nokias that used to show "withheld"
ianrandy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 05:26 AM   #4
drpellypo
macrumors 6502

Thanks flipping goodness for that! Just got a similar call, and I thought I'd been rumbled! It only rang once then stopped.
drpellypo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 09:46 AM   #5
Lilmagic
macrumors newbie

Be careful!!

I had a number of these calls from a blocked caller within hours of getting my new iPhone. The guy on the first call told me he wanted to offer me a discount on my insurance and proceeded to 'check my ID' by asking me questions about the card I'd used to buy the phone, such as can you confirm the expiry date and bak the card it with? I did so and then he said could I confirm the long number started with a 4 and I said it did, but then so do all card numbers. Then he asked me to read the long number to him and I asked why. He said I sounded suspicious and I told him I was very suspicious, to which he asked how he could know my numbger when it was a new phone if he wasn't from the store chain I got it from.

Anyway, I told him it seemed very odd that he was asking such questions and that I wasn't happy and with that he hung up. I had about 4 more calls within a short time, but I missed some, on the the last one I answered it and got a girl who wanted to talk to me and I told he to wait as I was on another call and she said she was too busy and hung up.

Some time later I was looking through my paperwork and found a comment from 'The Geek Squad', who are linked to the phone insurance and they are aware that there are a lot of bogus callers out there who get the numbers some how and are trying to rip off the customers.

So, don't give any personal information out to anyone who rings from a 'blocked' call. If need be ask for a number and ring O2 to check its legitimate before you tell anyone anything.
Lilmagic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:49 PM   #6
Philiboy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmagic View Post
I had a number of these calls from a blocked caller within hours of getting my new iPhone. The guy on the first call told me he wanted to offer me a discount on my insurance and proceeded to 'check my ID' by asking me questions about the card I'd used to buy the phone, such as can you confirm the expiry date and bak the card it with? I did so and then he said could I confirm the long number started with a 4 and I said it did, but then so do all card numbers. Then he asked me to read the long number to him and I asked why. He said I sounded suspicious and I told him I was very suspicious, to which he asked how he could know my numbger when it was a new phone if he wasn't from the store chain I got it from.

Anyway, I told him it seemed very odd that he was asking such questions and that I wasn't happy and with that he hung up. I had about 4 more calls within a short time, but I missed some, on the the last one I answered it and got a girl who wanted to talk to me and I told he to wait as I was on another call and she said she was too busy and hung up.

Some time later I was looking through my paperwork and found a comment from 'The Geek Squad', who are linked to the phone insurance and they are aware that there are a lot of bogus callers out there who get the numbers some how and are trying to rip off the customers.

So, don't give any personal information out to anyone who rings from a 'blocked' call. If need be ask for a number and ring O2 to check its legitimate before you tell anyone anything.
You know what thesame thing happend to me few mins ago!!!

I recently got my iphone and a "blocked" caller called me, He said he was from "geeksquad" and they asked me to see if i still wanted "insurance for my iphone" They told me the price to cover the insurance for my phone which was around 200 and they said that it could reduce it to 99 pounds. I said I wasnt sure yet, and then he asked me if I am the bill payer, then i said no because my parents do it for me, after that he told me "shut up you little bitch" I asked him for ID and he coudnt say anything so he just hung up the phone.

I was so FURIOS after the call and I still am
Bottom line is its nothing to be worried about unless you gave him some personal details.
So if this happens to you ask for some identification first!!!
Philiboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 01:04 PM   #7
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alFR View Post
e.g. a lot of internal telephone exchanges (like the one at my workplace).
Yeah. I work in a large office building. When I call my wife's cell from my desk phone, she can't see who's calling beyond the area code.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone